Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Compost material from your state!

It seems like different areas of the country have large supplies of material not found elsewhere! I am curious as to what materials you use like in states like Alaska, Florida or even other countries! In Pa. mushroom manure, pine needles, all types of manures, hay ,straw. are the norm. Some states process certain fruits or veg foods that have waste that can be composted. What is in your area?

alaskagold

Well Bob, since I have to start from the beginning again on compost, I will let you know what I put in mine up here.

Anything of fruit or veggie matter.. old banana's, apple cores, lettuce, etc. Not because we do not have "green" leaves but for the different variety of anything organic compost (banana's for nitrogen, etc). I also add river sand, clay, volanic ash (I can get this in truck loads), old leaves, old trees and bark, and moose nuggets! I test it like soil (when I had a compost) to check the acidic levels as we have overly high acid in our soils.

Moose nuggets are a great compost filler and since 60% of it is not digested, it makes a great composting ingredient. I have to go out nugget hunting in about 2 weeks actually. I do not add manure very often, and if I do it is usually steer.

I also add old slamon skin, salmon bones (if dried I crush them) and wood ash. I do not add cow/pig/chicken bones. People ask if I have issues with bears due to the fruit, veggie fish compost... I would say no, but it isn't like it hasn't happened before.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Very interesting. I guess you have more compost material then some of us! How long is your growing season? Since its never really dark there does the dim light give some heat to greenhouses all the time? Thanks for the info!

alaskagold

Depends on where in the State you are.

Fairbanks has 24 hour daylight for a couple months.

Anchorage has about 20 hours, with dusk like settings for "night" for about 2 months.

Juneau area is a lot like Seattle, WA.

growing season 120 days or less usually, but we have to deal with frost and such even at the beginning of June.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Being a farm and cattle/hog state, there's a lot of manure around here. People have horses so you can get free straw/manure barn cleanings just for the hauling. And we have forests, so there's woodcutting, sawmilling and woodworking shops. Sawdust is plentiful. The city has yard waste dropoff sites where lots of stuff can be had, and there's always the curbside leaves and lawn clippings. Being a University town, we have funky restaurants with juice bars that will give you bins full of food waste if you want it.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Here in Maine, there are a few companies that make compost from the leftovers of seafood processors. Lobster, crab, clam, snail shells and more. It makes a very rich compost that my plants love. But, as with all good products... "It ain't cheap!"

Return to “Composting Forum”