Intriguedbybonsai

Apartment Composting

I've been reading around the web, and alot of sites mention that compost needs aeration. Why is this? By the way, I live in an apartment so I have to work with what little space I have.

The way I compost is by dumping fruit peels, and old leftovers into a bag of potting soil, then covering it up with more soil to prevent flies. I then seal up the bag so that no bad smells emit. There are tiny holes in the bag. So is that still considered getting aerated, and is this a correct way to compost?

I don't add dry leaves, coffee grounds, newspaper clippings, or sawdust like other people say to add. It's just old food scraps mixed in with potting soil.

soil
Greener Thumb

you need worms! THE perfect way to compost in an apartment. no smell, no turning, high quality compost.

Intriguedbybonsai

Like earthworms and nightcrawlers? I've never worked with worms before. Do I just add them to my bag of compost?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Look up red wigglers or compost worms.

Eric

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Think of it this way: the microbes you want need air to breathe and do their work. Just like people. How would you smell after a few days sealed in a plastic bag? :D

And if you drink coffee, the grounds and filter are *great* composting material.

rot
Greener Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote:. How would you smell after a few days sealed in a plastic bag? :D
I have no nose so I smell awful.

Return to “Composting Forum”