Chaesman

Organic Fertilizer question

Ok to make a long story Short I recieved a call this afternoon that if I would run my grandson to where his dad was I would be given some free organic Fertilizer. So I figured gonna need it why not. I got there and my poor old Ford ranger got loaded (About 800 lbs worth)

This organic fertilizer Constist of the following items from looking it over

about 2% dirt about 5% straw seed hulls and feathers and about 93% chicken manure.

I was told this had a rating of 50-55-50 which means nothing to me accept that it is 5 times stonger than what I normally see on the shelves in bags.

What I need to know is What do each of these numbers mean?

How should I use this stuff? I have seen much weaker fertilizer burn and kill plants (Something tells me get answers before I try it)

Since I have so Much of it at the moment would it be good to use some of it to mix into my new composte pile?

Thanks for any and all advice

Jon

farmerlon
Green Thumb

As you expressed concern about, the chicken manure can be very "hot" (high in nitrogen); to the point of burning and killing plants.

Personally, I would make sure that material is "well aged" (mature compost) before applying it to the garden. If it's fresh manure, I would compost it (for as long as it takes) to achieve a more stable material.
If it's composted well, that will make the material of a better quality for gardening, and will impart a more desirable slow release profile to the product.

The three numbers [50-55-50] indicate a fertilizer with "balanced" (equal or nearly-equal) portions of Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium.
I don't recall ever seeing all 3 numbers be that high; but I guess that is possible.(?)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jon,

The chicken manure is more like 4,5 - 2,5 - 1,2 NPK.

feather meal 13-0-0

Eric

Chaesman

Thank you for the information you have provided so far. I set the load to the rear of my property till I learn more about it.

Eric thank you for the in formation on the accual numbers.. I was just repeating what I had been told but since no lables I didn't know thus the questions.

as far as how aged this manure is I have no idea it was in a pile about 30 ft high.

So for now we are going to be using it as an additvie to my new composte pile it seams.

can a few lets say table spoons be disolved in lets say a gallon of water to bottom water older plants safely?

and can I turn someof this into my garden area a couple weeks before planting safely or would it be detrimental?

Thanks for the info
Jon

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

manure is best handled by first composting - and should be dug in at least four weeks prior to planting.

chicken manure - especially when fresh - contains a lot of ammonia compounds - you nose will tell you 'how fresh' - and that can be damaging to plants/transplants/seedling. there's not much option but composting / aging to reduce the excess ammonia.

Return to “Composting Forum”