ruggr10
Green Thumb

I'VE GOT WORMS!!

I was just excited and wanted to say I've finally got my worm bin going. I got 2000 red wigglers from Uncle Jim yesterday and they're quite happy in their bin. My wife even let me put them in the first floor bathroom since it's warmer than the boiler room in the basement.

We'll see how long that lasts.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'VE GOT WORMS!!
No, That's to easy.
first floor bathroom
Nope, I better not go there either. :P

2000 red wigglers, way cool ! You will be amazed how much they consume. Some people keep the bin right under the kitchen sink. More convenient. Off the cutting board into the bin.

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

No room under the sink. The child locks would get in the way.

I'll tell you those worms have great taste, they found half a melon in a hurry~~~

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I am going to get some worms this year also! I hope you plan on doing some fishing with them also! What do you have them in as a worming mix and how big is the box?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YAY!! I started my first worm bin this past November. It's been fascinating!

put worms and my screen name in Search the Forum and you will find lots of things I've been posting about my worm bin.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Bomberman,

I got a 32 gallon bin from Walmart for $5. Cut a square off the top and glued on a screen.

The I put a piece of cardboard along the bottom and drilled a hole on a side if I need to drain any liquid.

I put food in a few corners and put the worms on top. The worms are in the peat moss they came with (I sprayed it with water). The in added wet strips of newsprint and cardboard as well as dried paper on top. I don't know if this is the exact way to have a bin but the worms seem happy.

As a side note they really seem to love melon and celery leaves! I think that I am going to start blending the food before I put it in. Does anyone think that's worth it????

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I certainly don't think blending the food is necessary. I've been putting whole stuff in, even avocado shells and eggshells. They seem to do fine with it, except for a few things that they don't like, e.g. onions and bread.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

a little tip for your worm bin regards fruit flies! Man fruits you buy has fruit fly eggs on them. Soak the fruit skins in real hot or boiling water for a few minutes to kill the eggs! Also don't put too much food in or it will make it too hot for the worms and kill them!

Return to “Composting Forum”