rot
Greener Thumb

Composting with Windex and other cleaners

In the course of spraying and wiping with windex, we're just chucking spent paper towels.

Would it be a major disaster if we collected the spent paper towels in a bucket and then chucked it all in the compost bin once a month or so?

What about other cleaners? Bleach?

I don't think the diluted vinegar is an issue.

Thoughts please. Thanks in advance

rot
Greener Thumb

Using vinegar too

We use windex for somethings - like in the kitchen - and vinegar other places.

We have a number of cats so we get worried about one cat's cold traveling to the others. I'm not sure I can convince my wife to do without windex entirely.

Thanks

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Don't worry about it. Windex has ammonia in it which is a fertilizer anyway. As far as the surfactants, 1) they do generally biodegrade esp. in an active environment like compost and 2) the amount you're likely to be putting in the pile is miniscule in comparison to the mass of other materials.

I usually dump my mop water, car washing water etc. on the lawn if the weather is conducive. Doesn't hurt it a bit. I might not dump sudsy buckets into the compost twice a week, but a few paper towels here and there is certainly nothing to worry about.
Tox

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would take Marlingardeners idea one step farther. Stop using paper towels. Buy a box of painters rags. Then wash them after every use.

Eric

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Good suggestion DoubleDog - would have said that myself but I was focusing on the chemicals. I too have issues with disposables. Actually window washing is the one place I use a paper towel, for the final cleaning to get it streak free. I should use a rag. But I use the heck out of them before tossing them. I'd say we use only 2-3 rolls per *year* at our house. Most everything including napkins is reusable cloth at our house.
Tox

rot
Greener Thumb

Thanks for the tips

Thanks guys.

I've wondered about the calculus of hygiene vs water use vs disposables vs re-usables. We're in dry country and water is precious. Then we have a number of dogs and cats and there's always something to wipe up here and there. As far as wiping down counters for food prep, wiping things down with a used sponge actually just spreads bacteria about as opposed to really cleaning anything up.

It's not really clear to me in those terms where the best trade off is.

When cleaning out the pet food dishes, a regular routine, we empty the soapy water into a bucket and use that to water various plants about the place. Animal water bowels get emptied onto the plants too when time to change the water. I like to think the surfactants penetrate the hard ground a little bit better helping roots find moisture deeper into the soil.

From time to time I even consider using little paper plates to feed the cats instead of washing them out twice a day. They should be running about 4 cents a pop and maybe cheaper if I could find the ones without a plastic surface in bulk.

Thanks again

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Everything's a trade-off isn't it? We have abundant water here, and although we don't waste it, we don't hesitate to use it either. I can understand the microbial issues people have with sponges. I tend to use a wash rag instead, which can be spread out to dry much faster than a sponge. I also change it out every few days, toss it into the kitchen laundry basket (cute woven one selected by the Mrs.) along with napkins and towels. All that gets sanitized in hot water with a splash of bleach. YMMV depending on your conditions!
Tox

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I know we are off topic, but here is another. I stopped using coffee paper filter years ago. I use the mesh cone instead. The gold tone is long gone and it still works fine.

Eric

rot
Greener Thumb

Ragtime?

I'm thinking about the rags. I could see us doing a lot more laundry going down that path. Not sure we could pull that one off especially when it comes to spot clean the carpet.

Sometimes I try to think and nothing seems to happen.

sprout

I love the yellow microfiber car towels from Costco. They are quite effective with water only. disinfecting usually involves rubbing alcohol or vinegar.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm thinking about the rags. I could see us doing a lot more laundry going down that path. Not sure we could pull that one off especially when it comes to spot clean the carpet.
With two large black dogs, no carpet. :)

Eric

rot
Greener Thumb

Yeah the carpet is part of it.

We don't count cats but the cat boxes. With dogs we're DOWN to three, two black and one white.

The vacuum cleaner has been out for service for two weeks. Not sure what color the carpet is anymore.

We've been hanging clothes to dry but back tracking on that due to labor.

I'm now collecting windexed paper towels. Windex and vinegar are the big cleaners in this household. The vinegar gets collected too.

It's a big house when you go to clean it.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Rot, do you have a dryer vent diverter? Great in the winter for reusing all that heat (and the humidity isn't a bad thing either). I feel less guilty about using the dryer.

Composting content: Dryer lint is compostable. :lol:
Tox

rot
Greener Thumb

Ooh

Ooh. A dryer vent diverter thingy. That sounds like an idea I want to exploit. I've been meaning to futz with that thing anyways to run a water line from the washer to a garden bed outside.

Thanks for the tip Tox.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

The dryer vent diverter is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It could put America on top again. And I'm only half kidding.
Tox

Return to “Composting Forum”