denny27

Beer in your compost

For the last few weeks I've been dumping any remaining beer from a can that might not have been finished in my bucket in the kitchen to put in my compost pile. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Denny,

Welcome to the forum. :D
I've been dumping any remaining beer from a can that might not have been finished in my bucket
I can understand that. Beer in a can, Foo! If you don't home brew at least buy bottled beer. :>

Oh, wrong thoughts.

I don't think you will have any problem with beer in the compost. You could also use the beer for slug and snail traps. Just make sure they are deep enough for them to drown, not take a sip and crawl out, sleep it off.

Eric

Halfway
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
Just make sure they are deep enough for them to drown, not take a sip and crawl out, sleep it off.

Eric
:lol:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

denny27 wrote:For the last few weeks I've been dumping any remaining beer from a can that might not have been finished in my bucket in the kitchen to put in my compost pile. I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this.

Someone recently posted about urine in a compost pile. That would be the only way beer would ever make it past me into the pile, if I was so inclined.
:lol:

lorax
Greener Thumb

My first thought was like DDF's - beer in a can? Of course that goes into the compost. You wouldn't eat yellow snow, would you? So why are you drinking yellow beer? :shock:

Also wrong thoughts. :()

We've been extensively discussing the use of brewers' leavings (trub) in compost heaps, and beer certainly won't do any damage. If you grow tropicals, they'll love the soil that comes out. Just be sure to balance it with adequate greens, or you can overheat your pile. I think the thread was called "Wort in the Compost Heap" or some similar.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I believe you meant adequate browns, Lorax - ?

Nothing wrong with leftover beer, wine, fruit juice, coffee, etc. in the compost. In fact, soda should go in there too. Most of them have phosphoric acid, which will add some very important P to your garden. P, the limiting nutrient of the entire biosphere - much better back into your soil than down the drain where they have to try to remove it so as to keep it out of the river.

rot
Greener Thumb

I add the beer to the pile after it's been used a bit.

Return to “Composting Forum”