Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Looking for compost material can be fun

I remember when I was young and raised some pumpkins! I went fishing and had a stringer of fish so when I cleaned them I put the scraps burried near my pumpkins and had very big ones that year! I always keep my eyes open for copost material! One of my favorites I pine needles. I you have a big old tree near you dig down several inches and you will see ther nicest brown dirt for your compost. Pine needles mixed in the compost stops the compost from getting mushy! pine needs are slightly acid but work fine! I have seen old bales of hay or straw along the road that has fallon from a truck. I mix and layer the hay in the compost and add a little blood meal or anything green even bananna skins and away it goes! Always keep your leaves in thin layers or you will stop the heat with the mushy leaves or the smothering effect of to many leaves! If you have a paper shredder use the paper in the compost! Also layer your grass clipping!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, here's a great thread we had in fall 2009 about people's adventures "stealing" fall leaves that are sitting out at the curb for the compost pile (and mulch)

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=100896&highlight=stealing+leaves#100896

Lots of fun! :)

But with the outdoor cats and all the raccoons, I can't imagine burying fish parts and having them stay buried! I struggle to find ANY organic fertilizer I can plant with my tree seedlings, that won't cause the raccoons to dig up the seedlings looking for the fertilizer....

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

This link really goes into detail not only on the materials and types of manure but how they work! Very extensive article. I really learned alot here and enjoyed how it was explained in detail!
+++

https://www.primalseeds.org/compost.htm

Return to “Composting Forum”