agrokid

First compost attempt. The results..

Hello again people!

This is the first time I attempted to make my own homemade compost. I just screened it, six months after I started it.

It was created as a pile, no bins or anything.

Main ingrendients are:
- grass clippings
- healthy garden pruning remainders
- olive tree leaves
- kitchen waste from vegetables, fruits, eggshells etc.

The result is satisfactory in general BUT it doesn't look like the commercial compost (light thin black dirt), but more like black, pleasant earth-smelling castings...

Here is a closeup:
[img]https://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd456/agroxolos/compost.jpg[/img]

I have stored it in big cloth bags in order to be able to aerate, and use it when needed.

My question is should I let it cure in the bags, or can I use it immediately? Some say immediately is no problem while others suggest some curing time (from 1-6 months).

So what do you think?

applestar
Mod

It depends on what you want to use it for.

agrokid

I suppose you're referring to the curing time, it will be used primarily for vegetables.

What about the texture I'm describing, you think it is normal for the compost to end up like that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

My compost texture varies pretty widely depending on ingredients, season, and I don't know what all else. Sometimes it comes out just like that, some times it packs down a lot more and comes out with a texture like fudge. It's all good....

I use mine right away once I dig it. I think sitting around it probably loses some of the life in it, earthworms, fungi, etc.

applestar
Mod

The texture of the compost looks fine to me. It would be darker when moist. Size of particles would depend on how finely you screen the compost, but I prefer to have larger pieces mixed in for better soil drainage and carbon content that will break down over time.

Do you live in the southern hemisphere starting a new growing season, warmer non-freezing area with winter gardening in mind, or putting the garden to bed for the winter? Will you be growing in the ground, raised bed, or containers?

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Looks fine to me, I'd use it if you have a use for it. I sometimes save a bag or two for a few weeks or a couple months if there's a use coming up like planting the garden, and I need to clean out the bin right now. But your pic looks 'done' enough to use for almost anything, far as I know. Nice job!

agrokid

Do you live in the southern hemisphere starting a new growing season, warmer non-freezing area with winter gardening in mind, or putting the garden to bed for the winter? Will you be growing in the ground, raised bed, or containers?
I live in Greece, and in my area we have really mild winter. Currently the temperature during daytime is 65-70F (18-22C), but it should be a bit lower for the season. We rarely get temps lower than 40F (4C) even in December and January so gardening goes on all year long!

I grow in the ground (not raised beds).

I'm currenlty growing cabbage, broccoli, lettuce (green and red), arugula, peas and spinach. My aubergines and peppers (planted in late May) are still producing though they seem to be reaching the end of their life.
Nice job!
Thanks a lot!

Thank you all guys!

applestar
Mod

OK, I think this compost could be used as it is now for your vegs as side dressing --not touching the plant stems-- covered with green mulch (like wilted grass clippings/non-heading weeds or --my new favorite -- spoiled hay) or straw. You could also mix it into the bottom of planting hole soil.

If you were growing in container, I would add up to 25% of this, larger pieces and all, into unpre-fertilized home made soil mix. Less if you are using commercial potting soil with fertilizer already added.

I would use compost like this screened a little bit smaller in a home made seed starting mix. Again, about 25%.

Less finished compost with more discernible pieces should be treated like manure as it is still "hot" and can burn the plants. But it could be put in the bottom of a newly sheet mulched raised bed if allowed to mellow for at least 2weeks or more, or around fruit trees as drip line mulch at the beginning of the growing season with additional green or straw mulch. Where populations are plentiful, you'll have a huge number of earthworms move right in.

rot
Greener Thumb

I've stored away compost before and I might even do so again one day but in the end, it doesn't do anything for the ground until it's in or on the ground.

Looks great, it's six months old, have at it.

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”