dim

compost pile (the bottom side)

The compost pile I have is in a woden crate with large holes in order to aerate. I have also put a plastic grid from inside.

The compost which is decomposited doesn't dropped to the surface below the woden crate ?? Should I put something in the bottom of the woden crate crate in order the (decomposed) soil not to leak ??
thanks!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Open bottoms means good aeration, but also a place for worms to escape if you aren't keeping them very happy. Shredded paper layered in before foods forms a good "mat" to absorb moisture and "weave" together soil structure, and worms love the high carbon layer as it's easy to move through and feed in.

Paper, foods, and some compost on top. Repeat as necessary.

HG

dim

Well, what I get is that the hole at the bottom of the bin are considered as a diod or an exit for the worms but also for the wind. The loss of some soil from decomposed materials isn't such a disadvantage.

thanks Roger!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If by wind you mean carbon dioxide gas (CO2), then yes it is another benefit. A solid bottom might not allow that, but if you do use a permeable cloth or wire bottom that would not be an issue.

The commercial bin I used to run had an open bottom with a four inch by four inch wire grid. A little dropped out here or there, but not enough to worry over. We harvested through the bottom (but not everyone needs a hydraulic driven bottom drop bin...).

HG

Return to “Composting Forum”