Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Compost inside garage.

About this time last year I put some organic material in several 5 gallon buckets and put them in my garage. The garage is attached to the house but it is not heated. The hot water heater in the garage does make a little heat in there when the doors are closed. If it is 20 degrees outside it will be about 40 to 45 degrees in the garage. During the day if it warms up to 35 degrees outside it may be 50 to 55 in the garage. The buckets were not covered and they set in the garage all winter about 5 months. Spring came and I noticed the organic material in the buckets had completely composted during winter. I was suprised to find even though it was not very warm in the garage compost did it thing and all the composted material looked like potting soil. I used the compost in my plant trays to start seeds.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

All kinds of things apparently work for you that I wouldn't recommend for other people. The garage is fine and it doesn't surprise me that stuff still composted as long as temps stay above freezing. I just personally don't like the idea of composting in buckets--not enough air circulation. Ideally composting is an aerobic process, depends on availability of lots of oxygen.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I am impressed by the amount of material that this urban garden is able to compost... [url]https://growingpower.org/[/url]

In some of the photos that I have seen at their web site, they have huge piles of compost along the outside walls of their greenhouses; as well as giant piles of compost at the inside corners of the greenhouses during the winter months.
What a great way to use the heat from the compost! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, Will Allen and the work he is doing is AMAZING! He came to town and gave a lecture/ slide show that I was privileged to be at (it was a very big lecture hall and the place was packed). He started just with the idea of inner city gardens, using waste spaces to grow food and teach people gardening. But his ideas just keep developing and developing.... aquaponics, heating greenhouses with compost, solar, five story gardens, turning old warehouses into huge food production spaces with gardens and fish that feed each other... ideas just fly off him, like sparks from a fire.

Return to “Composting Forum”