hardland

can compost tea go bad?

I made up a five gallon bucket of compost tea last week, used worm castings in a bag, submerged in water with an areator hooked up for 3 days. I added some fish emulsion and mollases, 3 tbs of each. I had to leave for a couple of days over the weekend, I turned the areator off and put a top on the bucket wjhile gone. When I opened it this morning, wow! whata smell and a film on top. The flies seemed pretty interested also! Is this still safe to use on my plants and lawn? I was thinking of hooking up the areator back up?
Hey there Mister,
Can you tell me what happened to the seeds iv'e sown,
can you give me a reason sir, as to why they've never grown,

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yup... anaerobic digestion! Nasty. Anaerobic composting is also known as putrefaction (because the results are so putrid?). Putrefactive breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen releases end products such as CH4 (ammonia) and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) ("rotten egg gas").

3 days was plenty of brewing; I'm not a compost tea expert, but I think they usually suggest 36 hrs. You could have used your tea before you left.

Anaerobic digestion is conducive to the development of some pathogens, I think including E. coli, though I'm a little above my pay grade here, so don't quote me.

I don't do compost tea myself, so I'm not sure about whether this can be saved by now aerating it. Personally I would dump it on my compost pile to go through bioremediation and start over.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

hardland

So how dangerous is this old compost tea? What should I do with it and I'm assuming I shouldn't use it on the plants or lawn ?
Hey there Mister,

hardland

I am not sure what to do with this stinky compost tea, is it safe to discard down the drain? Should I spray it on my vegetables or lawn? Any info would be appreciated. thanks
Hey there Mister,

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

This is a good suggestion. :wink:
I don't do compost tea myself, so I'm not sure about whether this can be saved by now aerating it. Personally I would dump it on my compost pile to go through bioremediation and start over.

Eric

soil
Greener Thumb

yes it can go bad, when it does, toss it on the compost pile.
For all things come from earth, and all things end by becoming earth.

Return to “Composting Forum”