nakanj

cats in my flowers!!!

I have two large flower beds and my cats think they're litter boxes. I thought about trying to keep them out, but some people say its good for the flowers. Does anyone know if this is true If not any ideas on how to stop it?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There are prickly mats you can put just under the mulch that they don't like, and I have heard orange peels are another deterent. But soft open ground is an invitation to be sure. Mine do use the gardens sometimes but use the backs of the wilder borders by preference, where there is not so much mulch. Make a special spot for them and perhaps they will use it by preference...

HG

rot
Greener Thumb

The rose canes on the lawn will keep the dogs off the grass too. I mow right over them and they eventually break up and then down.

Now if I can get the squirrels out of the garden.

nakanj

Thanks, I"ll give the rose thorns a try. I hate to put down netting but if all else fail... :lol:

Texas.girl
Cool Member

I live in a very rocky part of TX. Not much soil here at all. So I recently ordered a dump truck load of gardening soil. After the dump truck left my 2 mouse catchers thanked me and went to work adding more manure to the soil.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

It's my understanding that pecan shell mulch will discourage them from their business. They don't like the pointy shells.

Return to “Composting Forum”