cga

A compost calculator--easy to use

Hope this is ok to post here. I found this compost calculator on Klickitat County, Washington soild waste site. Easy to use but not a lot of choice of materials. I suppose if you have something to compost and know the approximate C:N ratio, it should work.
https://www.klickitatcounty.org/SolidWaste/fileshtml/organics/compostCalc.htm

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks for posting that, helpful links are always appreciated. :)

cga

Your welcome.

Thought it may be of some use to new composters.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

that is definitely a cool calculator...

EG

vermontkingdom

Thanks CGA,
That link is also linked to one at Cornell University on the entire science of composting. Wow. I have been a fan of composting for 30 years and thought I knew most of what I should about the process. However, I've just spent two glorious hours this morning reading lots of relevant things at the Cornell site. It's absolutely fascinating.

HBiscuit
Newly Registered

Thanks for this. We're going to be starting a compost and this will come in handy!

cga

Your welcome....

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That calculator does not include wood ash.

I have been experementing all summer. The more wood ash I put in a compost pile the faster it composts. I'm not sure why yet.

One large pile of compost mixed and divided into 3 piles. Then wood ash added to all 3 piles. Compost pile #2 has 2 times more wood ash than pile #1. Pile #3 and 3 times more wood ash than pile #1. All 3 piles are in full sun most of the day. Pile #3 has 3 times more wood ash than pile #1 it composts must faster than pile #1 and pile #2.

If it does not rain I make sure to give each pile the same amount of water.

Pile #3 is the smallest it has composted the most. Pile #2 is smaller than #1 but not as small as #3.

cga

Thats good to know. I heat with wood and always have lots of ash. I'll mix some in when I turn the pile in a day or so. How much should one add to a 4x4 pile?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

cga wrote:Thats good to know. I heat with wood and always have lots of ash. I'll mix some in when I turn the pile in a day or so. How much should one add to a 4x4 pile?
Here is what I did. Each mixture was measured a certain about of wood ash to 5 gallons of finely chopped compost. Mow compost with your lawn mower or pour it through your compost chopper this makes it easy to measure 5 gallon buckets full. Mix in wood ash stir well then pour it in your compost pile.

Pile #1 I added 1 pint mason jar of wood ash.

Pile #2 I added 2 pint jars of wood ash.

Pile #3 I added 3 pint jars of wood ash.

cga

Thanks

Return to “Composting Forum”