cga

Yet another composting question

Old gardener but very new composter. Just built my first compost bins, 2 side by side, each 4'x4'x4'. Its been going a little over a week now. Turned it into the other bin tonight, lots of steem and a lot of the material was the color of wood ash. This color started about 2 to3 inches in from all sides to about a foot or so inward. Hit and miss tward the center. Is this normal? Or should I change something?

In the mix I put mostly leaves, leaf mold and grass clippings. Blood meal and bone meal, about a quarter of a spade of garden soil and a few items from the garden. Also green corn stalks, about 75 of them through the shredder twice, some with corn.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

This is quite normal, and better distribution of ingredients throughout the pile will help it.

EG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The white might be fungi which means your pile is doing what it should.

Sounds like you have the right ingredients to get that thing going hot.

cga

Thank you very much. Never done this before so I wasn't sure.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

cga wrote:... Its been going a little over a week now. Turned it into the other bin tonight, lots of steem and a lot of the material was the color of wood ash. This color started about 2 to3 inches in from all sides to about a foot or so inward. ...
I find that grass clippings are prone to get that white color (wood ash look) when they compact down and start to become anaerobic... that might explain why that coloring started a few inches into the pile (where there was less air).
Turning the pile like you did will introduce more air to the mix, for better aerobic decompostion.

Return to “Composting Forum”