Dawn1

Peeing on compost??? and more???

My dear sweet hubby just bought me a composter. A black bin that you dump in the stuff from the top and open the bottom to retrieve. Anyhow of course I did some research and came across some articles on urine in the compost making it compost quicker??? OMG is this true? Sort of grossed me out but I guess it makes sense. I was just curious about this. NOT that I plan on doing that! LOL. Is there any other way to speed up the process by adding something to it???

Lastly my dear sweet hubby bought it for me so that I would have a place to put all my weeds but it the compost pile the best place to put your garden weeds? I am just not sure about it.

TIA :)

GreenBayMike

I think your dear hubbie may have bought it for you because all men like to pee in the outdoors! :twisted:

But seriously, the ammonia in pee might accelerate the composting process. Bacteria eat just about everything.

decam0

They say you shouldn't put in weeds that that are seeding, or roots of perennial weeds unless you can be sure that your compost gets hot enough to cook them dead. You can put in the TOPS of perenial weeds though.
(I throw the whole perennial weed onto a spare peice of ground till it shrivels up and is dead, then I put the whole on the compost heap. I'm not sure if this is okay or not, but it works for me.)

decam0

They say you shouldn't put in weeds that that are seeding, or roots of perennial weeds unless you can be sure that your compost gets hot enough to cook them dead. You can put in the TOPS of perenial weeds though.
(I throw the whole perennial weed onto a spare peice of ground till it shrivels up and is dead, then I put the whole on the compost heap. I'm not sure if this is okay or not, but it works for me.)

femlow

Where I live, composting toilets are quite common, however I would not add urine to the compost for a garden or the like. It contains urea which is a lot like ammonia, and is not something plants generally like, and bacteria especially are not fond of it (just as they are not fond of ammonia in cleaning solutions for your house).
Depending on where you live, you may or may not be able to add weeds to it. When you are composting, you probably want to keep the compost at about body temperature for most of it (around 98 degrees for the most part) however after it has composted well, you can, if in a warm enough climate, move your compost to an area where it will get very hot and it will kill any leftover roots and seeds and wont be a problem. Be sure to not heat it up too much before it is nicely composted though, as that will kill all the good bacteria that is breaking down the vegetation.

fem

GreenBayMike

Ah yes, good point about the ammonia. I would suppose then, peeing on the compost may only help by providing warm water to the mix?

In any case, I stand corrected.

Return to “Composting Forum”