sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what to do with lobster remains?

I do worm composting. I don't think the worms could use this stuff right? so what do I do with it? I hate to just toss it because its so great for the soil, yet at the same time I don't want to toss it out in my garden or in the chicken manure pile because I'm afraid the animals will be attracted to it. if I bury it somewhere do you think that the animals wouldn't find it? if I buried it in my garden or something?

applestar
Mod

I bury lobster and crab remains in the bottom of the compost pile. When DH gets a craving for them it basically means I'll be completely turning my compost pile in the next couple of days. They really help to heat up the pile too, as long as I put enough browns to balance them out.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

do you think its ok to put at the bottom of the chicken poo? or will it not break down there?

ccar2000
Cool Member

I just toss the crab shells into my compost pile. they get mixed in whenever I turn the pile. I haven't noticed any pests being attracted. I also use chicken manure to keep the pile hot.

soil
Greener Thumb

dry them well, grind to a powder( blender, coffee grinder, etc.) then feed to your worms in small amounts with the normal food scraps. don't add too much at once.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well I had tossed them into the bottom of the chicken poo and piled it high on top and the animals got into it so now its just all over the place. oh well.

applestar
Mod

Aw that's too bad. What got to them do you know?
The crab and lobster shells are usually not bothered in my compost pile. Rarely, I'll find a hole or two dug into the piles and some small pieces dragged out -- more often after corn on the cobs -- but I think they're usually squirrels or chipmunks. not a repeat raider in any case.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I'm only a theoretical gardener now, but at my last place I would ferment the lobster (bokashi), then I fed it to the worms. I didn't grind, but I did smash it up.

They disappeared very quick.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

What self-respecting varmint would dig into a pile of chicken$h!t for food? Yeesh! That was going to be my suggestion when I read your post, obviously it doesn't work well where you are. I'd say bury them at least 6" down or maybe more.

I assume you're making stock out of the shells first, that should cut down on the organic content and odors in addition to giving you some yummy soup stock.

Return to “Composting Forum”