planter

MMMM... Well I know I have Red's in the compost pile but I also have another worm that are much larger than usual Red's.

Am I looking at two different species of worms or just big and small Reds?? I know big ole crawlers that I fish with but am wondering if European Crawlers are something I would find in the heap if I didn't put them there?

It's raining out now for the first time in what seems like months and I know that I could go out right now flashlight in hand and hunt up a coffee can of crawlers. I should cause the Koi just love them but I don't need them for a worm box because when all is said and done I don't even have a worm bin.

PS.. If you have never hunted crawlers after a rain you don't know what your missing. They are so fast that you have to be like a cat and if you don't tread lightly they are back down their burrow before you know it!! I mean they are fast!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

They MUST need to come out of the ground to mate or whatever they do because you as often as not you find two intertwined in worm mucus. :shock: :?

Hey Sky.. If you haven't got one yet make sure you put Acuba Japonica on your list. Loves the same conditions as Rhodies pretty much and adds great color and is an evergreen. I don't see many here but I love them and 9 out of 15 cuttings ARE gonna make it!! :D

Nice info in the link Bee.

Logan

I'm not a worm expert, but it seems logical that you could have Euro crawlers enter your pile on their own, if there are others who have brought them into your area. They do escape on their own often enough, so I'm sure the ones that get out of the bin go somewhere and reproduce. The Euros look like large Red Wigglers. They both look really different and smaller from the regular night crawlers that are darker kinda purple, and have that fatter end, and they are bigger overall.

Return to “Composting Forum”