Cerbiesmom

Worms in the compost!

I took advantage of the rain yesterday to go turn the compost pile. It's amazing. I keep adding, and the pile is barely growing. Back to the point, I got to the bottom, and there were several knots of earthworms, I'm assuming mating? But I was so happy to see all those guys in there. More worms than I'd ever seen in my life! Composting is awesome!

NokeStar GreenThumb

I'm glad to hear your find! I have yet to have much luck with worms being in my compost. I quit doing food scraps for a while because I was saving everything for vermicomposting, so it was just leaves and grass and I am thinking that may be why.

I have since learned that potato, broccoli, peppers and things of that nature don't break down fast enough to really use as "quick food" for vermicomposting so I have been starting the bury them in my pile and I am hoping that will be the difference.

Lunacy
Cool Member

I am a first year gardener and a composter. I was mystified that my 3 month old pile never grew, no matter how much stuff I added. That stuff really breaks down and compacts!

I am also vermicomposting and I agree with NokeStar that some foods don't break down quick enough for the worms to use. So I added Bokashi composting! Now I Bokashi my table scraps and then feed them to the worms more complicated, but also works well and just adds to my gardening fun.

By the way you don't need a real Bokashi bucket, I use two Rubbermaid 2 gal thermoses, I cut two cheap plastic colanders to fit in the bottoms so you don't stop up the spout, and they work great!

Cerbiesmom

YEah, I'd love to do worm composting bins, but I have absolutely zero extra time at the moment. I'm fostering a litter of puppies that a stray I found graced us with in our bathroom. I swear, I'm only picking up male strays from now on. That plus my doxie's recovering from a slipped disc. Plants and pets, they're eating up all my time. I can't even get any reading done, one of them always needs something.

Would it be too hot in houston for a worm composting bin? The temps get into the 100's, and there's no way my germaphobe hubby would let me have the bin inside. I may just have to be content watching my wormies in my heap.

Return to “Composting Forum”