planter

Night Crawlers in the worm box ??

I can pick a few pounds of nightcrawlers in the evening after a heavy rain and was just curious if anyone uses them in their worm boxes. I never hear of it but they are HUGE and sure must be able to eat a lot. :shock:
PS.. If you have never gone worm hunting you are missing out on a lot of laughs and you would not believe how fast they are!! They are faster than me %50 of the time but they sure make good bait. :D A coffee can around your neck and a flashlight and off you go.
They come to the surface to mate if thats what you call it and a lot of the time you can grab two..

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They live in my compost bin. I was astounded when I first discovered them. :shock: I've never had anything like that in past compost, just the little red worms.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

This summer, I found my first night crawler at this property. I can't decide whether I like them or not. They don't encroach on or otherwise harm the red wrigglers, do they?

planter

I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure they get along fine with the reds but I'm betting they eat more. I do under stand they can work a few feet under ground which has to be a benefit. :D
They must be primarily an east coast worm or sumpin. Makes me wonder how many kinds of worms there are...mmmm. I do know that some people make a living nightcrawling for the fishing industry. :) I also know it's a buck and a half for a dozen. :shock:

Return to “Composting Forum”