planter

Why is composting so complicated??

As a gardener and composter for 30 years I'm just looking for the reasons why so many complicate what is such a simple and guaranteed process.
PLEASE note that I am to some degree just playing the devils advocate. :D I pile up my seasons Oak and Maple tree of which there is no shortage, throw in a pile of Turkey or chicken dropping and toss it around and chop it with a grub hoe every month or so. Fish racks and skin go in as does seaweed when I think about it and am enough motivated to drive over and pick up a load.
Does anything else much matter?? Who cares if it's too wet and stinks or get moldy? Even horse dung given time will be great seedless compost and if it still has seed just cover it with a couple of inches of dirt or good compost.
Are there any benifits to practicing proper composting except for the speed some guys (Non Gender Specific) I know can produce it? :D :wink:

[img][img]https://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp102/planter_01/P1050882.jpg[/img][/img]

PS.. This pile is not "done" yet but it's getting used and I frankly like a rough end product... :shock: Plus you have to admit it's a pretty good looking and large pile.. :wink:

Urban_wombat

Oh compost wonderful stuff :D :D .. I have two systems on the go.

Couple of bins for all the garden junk just fill 'em up add some sheep poo and let mother nature do her work.

and...

Household scraps get put in my Bokashi bin this c pickled compost is used in worm farms ( have 2 can-o-worms)and wicking bed. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Glad to see you didn't really mean it.

Composting is a simple or complicated as you want to make it.

I have a pile I just keep adding things to -- my kitchen scraps and everything my garden produces, plus imported fall leaves, some paper scraps....

I don't do anything to it, just keep adding as stuff appears. When a few months have gone by, I take the top part of fresh stuff off, down to the layer where the earthworms are. That becomes the bottom of a new pile. The rest gets stirred up a little and rapidly becomes finished compost.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I've done a few styles of composting, starting with mostly all browns in a pile left for a couple of years. Oh, we had grass and table scraps in there, too, and forked it around a bit, but it was pretty much just a heap. I'd imagine those untended piles my grandfather and I made have enriched that sandy soil for a few more years once we'd moved on.

Like anything, there's a learning curve. At its most basic, it is very simple, and productive. At the complex end, it's just more productive with a more balanced result.

Behind my quasi-layered compost is another pile of mostly woody bits and branches that is gradually breaking down, completely untended.

My philosophy changes with my situation, but even in an apartment I've done some form of composting.

Return to “Composting Forum”