specgrade

My Pile

Hello, I started a grass clipping pile behind my detatched garage about four years ago. I took a shovel and turned it every 5 to 7 months and added leaves as they became avalible. Fast forward to this year... I had not used the compost until this time. I was really happy to see 2-3 worms per shovelful as I was getting ready for the garden. I really didn't put a lot of effort into composting and it turned out pretty good.

The cucumbers seem to like the stuff and are out of control :lol: I am already planning for next year.

specgrade

I was out in my pile and discovered a discarded carrot plant GROWING. Nature finds a way I guess. I'll let it go for a while, I don't know when carrots are ready, they looked dead in my garden :roll:

How cool is that?? :lol:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

I love your signature! Some use to say "Be good, if you can't be good then be careful"

My granddad (Papa) used to say "Now yall be Peticular" I know I misspelled it, but that is how he said it. What a great philosophy of life, with discipline.

specgrade

lakngulf wrote:I love your signature! Some use to say "Be good, if you can't be good then be careful"

My granddad (Papa) used to say "Now yall be Peticular" I know I misspelled it, but that is how he said it. What a great philosophy of life, with discipline.
Thank you very much! I'm really not sure where I picked it up from, probably tv. Your Papa is a wise man, I like his way of saying to choosing wisely. :D

I had a friend who's mother would tell us "Don't leave Marlboro Country.", when we were younger and going biking. Funny stuff indeed.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

specgrade wrote:I was out in my pile and discovered a discarded carrot plant GROWING. Nature finds a way I guess. I'll let it go for a while, I don't know when carrots are ready, they looked dead in my garden :roll:

You can do the same thing with an onion. if you plant the top part (or the bottom part....can't recall :oops:) it will sprout new green top-growth which you can eat like green onions.

specgrade

I just went out to the pile and the top of the carrot was no where to be found. Oh well, ya win some and you lose some :lol:

specgrade

garden5 wrote:
specgrade wrote:I was out in my pile and discovered a discarded carrot plant GROWING. Nature finds a way I guess. I'll let it go for a while, I don't know when carrots are ready, they looked dead in my garden :roll:

You can do the same thing with an onion. if you plant the top part (or the bottom part....can't recall :oops:) it will sprout new green top-growth which you can eat like green onions.
That reminds me of the wild onions I used to eat as a kid. Ah the memories :)

Return to “Composting Forum”