Skilling
Newly Registered

Can you put onions in a composter?

Hi all... I have a big round spinning composter. I've been putting my banana peels and potato skins in there, along with the pulp thats left over from when I juice in the morning. I also add in all my lawn clippings, etc etc.

But, I was wondering if I could put onions in there? I was cutting some onions up earlier this week and I had a bunch of waste sitting there. I was tempted to put them in the composter, but wasn't sure. Any thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Absolutely, they are good for your compost....

I compost EVERYTHING from my kitchen (I'm vegetarian, so there aren't any meat scraps) including the coffee grounds with the filters, if I use a paper towel to wipe up spills, every single cooking leftover and plate scraping, the water that I steam veggies with (those paper towels soak it up :) )

If you are making juice (like oranges?) not just the pulp, but the peels can go in.

WASTE NOT, WANT NOT... It's all good stuff...

Skilling
Newly Registered

OK great! Thanks for the insight.

I already put in peels from my oranges, and pretty much all other fruit peels. I add in my extra coffee filter, as well as any extra coffee grounds I may have. I also drink alot of tea, so any extra tea bags go in there. Didn't realize you could put paper towels in there. That's kinda cool.

I've heard that adding pine needles aren't very good... Is this true?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, the pine needles break down very slowly. A few won't hurt, helps keep some air channels. Otherwise they make good mulch for plants that like acid soils, like azaleas.

Return to “Composting Forum”