Toil
Greener Thumb

I think that in most cases, urine in nature is spread out unevenly, not deposited in a single area. This leads me to favor spreading over composting.

I don't really have any science to point to, just the notion that too much of any one food source in one place leads to reduced diversity.

In dealing with urine, I would seek to prevent nutrients from entering the water table first, then once I have that down I would think about turning it to my immediate advantage.

nickolas

I add urine to my compost, I collect urine from both my dad and myself in a bucket and apply it undiluted directly on my many compost piles, it is a very good source of nitrogen as well as most importantly for me a very good organic compost activator.
And it is a good organic fertiliser albeit very strong, I dilute it 1 part urine to 30 parts water.
It is also undiluted a very good organic herbicide , I also apply it on top of my compost to kill any unwonted plants that are growing on top of my compost pile.
Also my dad and I are both vegetarians which means no risk of exec pathogens for the compost to deal with.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I (being female) have been known to pee in a jar and take that to compost pile, on occasion. Due to the extra trouble, I've never done it on a real regular basis.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Two posts above is this rather curious line:

"Also my dad and I are both vegetarians which means no risk of exec pathogens for the compost to deal with."

It's from 2011 so the poster may not be around, but I'm curious what is meant by 'exec pathogens'. Vegetarian or not, human poop has pathogens in it - e coli for example - that will make you sick, but pee generally does not, regardless of your diet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

nickolas wrote:I add urine to my compost, I collect urine from both my dad and myself in a bucket and apply it undiluted directly on my many compost piles, it is a very good source of nitrogen as well as most importantly for me a very good organic compost activator.
And it is a good organic fertiliser albeit very strong, I dilute it 1 part urine to 30 parts water.
It is also undiluted a very good organic herbicide , I also apply it on top of my compost to kill any unwonted plants that are growing on top of my compost pile.
Also my dad and I are both vegetarians which means no risk of exec pathogens for the compost to deal with.
He was talking about urine, not humanure. Still doesn't quite make sense though, since urine is generally sterile, vegetarian or not.

Greywolf

It seems to me a personal choice - eventually guess who gets to dig in it and turn it over?

Traditionally the rice paddy is the Japanese toilet - it returns to the soil what was consumed. Again it seems a matter of personal choice, and what you eat determines the suitability of what goes in there. Indeed - SHOULD YOU POOP IN IT?

It is in keeping with nature returning to the life cycle that what we consume should be returned in a natural fashion.

But we also eat meat products - and I have always heard MEAT doesn't belong in a mulch pile...

This may seem a quite disgusting topic, when you get right down to it. And remember - you will have to dig in it YOURSELF when all is said and done.

What is acceptable to YOU?

Return to “Composting Forum”