iskhan
Cool Member

Is my compost ready?

Hi

In my compost every thing is change to soil but the peanut peel change to dark brown but not disappear.
Is my compost ready?

stephenabney
Newly Registered

Yeah, you can use that.

You can sift the compost, so that the pieces that are still not decomposed are removed and returned to the pile. I did this once. It made beautiful compost that I was very proud of. Looked better than store-bought. However, WAY too much work for me!

Now, when I need compost, I just turn the pile. While turning, when I get far enough down that about 90 - 95% of the contents are completely decomposed, I start harvesting. I don't let the occasional chuck of grass, bark, egg shell, or corn husk bother me. If I notice it, I may throw it back in the pile. My garden is loving it! If the pile is very active and hot, I sit the harvested compost aside for another couple weeks to "cool off" so I don't accidentally burn my plants.

Onei
Newly Registered

I have the same issue, most of the compost is soily but there are still lots of bits that aren't decomposed, it smells a little too. My compost bin is the plastic kind with a lid at the top and a flap at the bottom to access the ready compost. I do try turning it over but the bin top is fairly narrow. I am worried about using this too early as I may attract the local foxes with the smell.

Return to “Composting Forum”