Sengyan

Material in Compost Tumbler Not Heating Up

I filled up a 55 gal. home made tumbler 2/3 - 3/4 full with greens and browns over a period of a week. The greens are home trimmings and grass clippings and straw is the brown. I mixed the green and the brown, at a 2 to 1 ratio by volume, in a wheel-barrow before addind to the tumbler. I have been adding greens every 2 days. I tumbler every time I added material to the tumbler. It has now been 3 days since the last addition and the content is cold. From the very beginning I have been tumbling 2 times a day turning 5-6 times very time. What do I have to do to get it heating? All advice is very appreciated.

Thank you.

Sengyan

Grey
Greener Thumb

It may need a little water - moisture helps speed the process. I've never used a tumbler before so hopefully someone else who has can help you.

Dedee

Ther is a awesome site that is very informative on composting you should check it out :wink: www.compostguide.com

Grey
Greener Thumb

Great link, Deedee!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If it is not heating up, you probably have to many browns ( leaves, newspaper, etc) and not enough greens (vegetables, grass clippings, coffee grinds, manure, etc)

milifestyle

I would suggest a need for a little moisture also.

That link has some great information.

Eric.
Last edited by milifestyle on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lefty317

boy at a 2:1 ratio plus, there should be plenty of greens in there, I wonder... is there any odor???? since this post was made in mid july, outside temps should not be a problem, I think maybe he is over agitating a little. I just stir mine once a week, and with equal N:C, it gets plent hot.

virchu
Newly Registered

Hello, I made a compost bin and started piling up layers of: dried grass clippings (very tall grass), vegetable kitchen scraps and soil. It's summer around here, but it's a southern region so we have hot , cool and cold days during the hot season. The pile is not heating up. It isn't smelly. There are no flies, no rodents around. I wonder if the problem is too much soil added.
Do you think I should turn the pile up or add more kitchen scraps and then turn it ?
Thank you for your help in advance. I'll try to post the photo of the bin, may be it helps.
[img]https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1176245815&aid=2082149#!/photo.php?fbid=1668785557603&set=a.1625749801736.2082149.1176245815&theater[/img]

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hi, I can't actually see your pic from here (long story but it's at my end not yours). You didn't say how big your pile is. It won't retain much heat until it gets up to the 1 cubic yard size or larger, although I've seen smaller plastic bins get hot.

You don't really need soil, at most a handful sprinkled here and there if you must. If the pile is on the ground, microbes will grow up into it, not to mention many of them are already present on the materials you put in. It won't hurt anything but it does not produce heat, only absorbs it, so if you use a lot, it can keep your pile from heating.

Finally, heat is not essential to composting, it's just a sign that your pile is cooking rather fast.

virchu
Newly Registered

Hi tox, thank you for your answer
my bin is about 1 m3 volume and it is 1/5 full at the moment. (and it's very nice indeed with wire mesh and wood, I made it that way because I hate rodents and around here they transmit a serious disease-hantavirus-)
I bought a fork today and turned it up, and I found there's a lot of soil, so I started adding only kitchen scraps.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I would try a manure component as well; what ever you can get, chicken, cow, rabbit, whatever...

It will add biology that will get things started. Just keep tumbling...

HG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1176245815&aid=2082149#!/photo.php?fbid=1668785557603&set=a.1625749801736.2082149.1176245815&theater

Hope this helps.

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:https://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1176245815&aid=2082149#!/photo.php?fbid=1668785557603&set=a.1625749801736.2082149.1176245815&theater

Hope this helps.

Eric
Only if one has a FaceBook account. Amazingly enough, many of us do not! :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

follow the link and sign up, or not.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/179643_1668786037615_1176245815_31518627_5259558_n.jpg[/img]

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I think a little bood meal does wonders for any compost! Bacteria from a old compost or some old manure will help! paper shredders from a paper shredder seperates the mixture nicely! Some pine needles may also help! A glass of human urine will also help! What does everyone think of a half glass of beer?

rot
Greener Thumb

virchu,

"layers of: dried grass clippings (very tall grass), vegetable kitchen scraps and soil' sounds like all greens to me except for the soil.

Also "1 m3 volume and it is 1/5 full" sounds a tad small to me.

Not a major disaster.

Add some dry woody stuff like leaves, maybe shredded paper, saw dust and so on. The dry woody stuff is good for covering your kitchen scraps when you add to the bin. Keep moist as opposed to wet (shield from sun and wind to keep it from drying out too fast) and when the bin gets about halfway full you should start to notice things and even some heat.

Slowly adding things over time is not the way to get a lot of heat. I wouldn't worry. I'm slow to add and build things up and it just takes longer.

to sense

virchu
Newly Registered

Thank you eric for posting the photo!
I want to ask another question: I have a big bag of weed cuttings (very tall grass and weeds) that is half dried. I use it as if it was the carbon-content ingredient. Do you think this is correct?

virchu
Newly Registered

I'm sorry there was an aswer before I asked
Thank you rot (rot?)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What does everyone think of a half glass of beer?
It's not as good as a full glass of beer! :wink:

Grass and weeds are high in Nitrogen.

https://www.composting101.com/c-n-ratio.html

Eric

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

[I missed reading Pg. 2 so some of my comments below have already been made...]

Well now hold on there with the additives. Blood meal is great but it's high in N. Same with manure. If you're adding only kitchen scraps, that's already on the green side. So you need to keep up with some browns along with the greens, and if you're going to add either of those other things, doubly so.

If your (very nice, may I say) bin is only 1/5 full and part of that is soil, that's why it's not heating. Patience and more additions will get you to compost. You must have faith

PS I post from my office, where social networking sites are completely blocked by the net nannies. :roll:

PPS used beer much preferred for the compost...

applestar
Mod

Speaking of used beer ...

I refuse to throw away perfectly good leftover juices and other beverages (coffee, tea, lemonade,... Nobody except DH drinks soda and he won't leave any leftovers) greens and rice rinsing water, UNSALTED pasta cooking water and also UNSALTED greens blanching water, etc. Down the drain any more. Especially in the summertime, though not so much in winter.

I pour them all in a bucket or one of those cooking pots and walk it out to the compost pile. It needs to be moistened during the summer drought anyway.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Most everybody with hot summers should have a kitchen bucket, IMHO. My mother, who lives in Albuquerque, has elevated it to a fine art. The water department came to her house to offer education because she had not cut her water use over the last several years of them pushing everyone. She showed them all her water saving and recycling techniques and the lady left with new ideas she wanted to use on other customers!

virchu
Newly Registered

ok, thank you all,I took note of all your remarks
some of my kitchen leftovers are not sooo green such as (please apologize my clumsy English and my poor vocabulary, you see, I'm a Spanish speaker):
corn stalks, outer skin of peas and beans, fruit and vegetable rests of the juicer,
well, I'm not adding any more soil and I'll find some carbon-rich things
I thoght on buying a straw bale but around here there are only made of alfalfa and that is still N ingredient
I only read online newspapers... :?
I'll keep thinking, :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Check the greens/ browns sticky at the top of this Forum for more browns ideas. Bring your groceries home in paper bags and tear them in pieces for the compost pile. Fall leaves AND the yard waste bags they are collected in. Shredded office paper (at my office I can have all the bags of that I want!). Cardboard boxes (groceries stores have tons of them for the taking). Coffee filters with the coffee grounds...

Moley
Cool Member

Pasta and Vegetables should both be cooked in water with the salt consistency of sea water... just my two bits, but if in the restaurant, one of our cooks didn't use salt for either, he'd be out on his ear.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

That's a little salty for me (3.5% I believe is the salt content of sea water). I do agree you need a little salt for flavor though. I didn't salt my pasta water for years, and when I started, my wife said the pasta tasted really good, and asked me what I did to it. But I only use a teaspoon or two in the pot. This is a small enough amount that it can go on the ground or in the compost later. Actually, I've started killing weeds in the patio cracks with the boiling pasta water.

Return to “Composting Forum”