Braves
Newly Registered

What is Horse Manure in Compost Mix?

I found a steady source of FREE Horse Manure and I have plenty of fresh cut grass from my lawn. I've read ALOT of websites that state conflicting facts.. So I'm gonna ask this for clarification..

Does horse manure count as my brown (carbon) in my compost pile with my fresh grass clippings?

Here is the website that I found saying horse manure as brown:
https://www.allotment.org.uk/articles2/Horse_Manure_Does_It_Have_Any_Uses.php

Thanks...

applestar
Mod

Personally, I have some reservations about horse manure. But setting them aside for the time being, the GREENness and BROWNness of the HM will depend on (1) manure gathered from pasture = mostly grass/hay feed with no bedding => GREEN (2) from barn/stable stalls = mostly hay feed and mixed with with wood shaving, compressed sawdust, or straw bedding => tending towards BROWN, with wood shaving the most, sawdust next, and hay the least. It'll also depend on how frequently the bedding is completely replaced (more, or less, urine soaked).

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The author whose article you've linked to has somehow gotten the color of the compost "ingredient" confused with its nitrogen (green) vs. carbon (brown) content.

Nitrogen-rich sources are greens, no matter what color they are, so (for instance) coffee grounds are a green.

And carbon-rich sources are browns, even if they're white, like shredded office paper, or off-white, like newsprint, or multi-color, like fabric.

Our *many* threads on these subjects (and the links in them to almost exhaustive lists of potential compost ingredients) will help sort it out for you.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Composting Forum”