cbar

Small animal bedding...

I started my second compost pile today, much larger then the plastic box I've been using. Right now it's primarily grass cuttings but would like to add our guinea pig and chinchilla's old bedding. I think we've been using Carefresh which is made from cellulose.

Of course there is pee and poop mixed in with it.

Safe for the pile? Thanks!

Darceyoh

I don't really see any harm in it. The bedding is wood pulp. So I would think it wouldn't have any problem going into the compost pile.

applestar
Mod

Only concern I might voice is if you're using one of those dyed or fragranced ones. Herbivores pet bedding is a fine addition to the compost pile and the paper pulp being a BROWN will help balance the grass.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

OK, so I'm not as well-informed about pocket pets as I could be.

Chinchillas are herbivorous? Even though they have those sharp teeth???

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cbar

cynthia_h wrote:OK, so I'm not as well-informed about pocket pets as I could be.

Chinchillas are herbivorous? Even though they have those sharp teeth???

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
They're sweethearts. Love to be petted. Definitely not meat eaters, lots of raisins and veggies.

Joyfirst
Green Thumb

I don't have guinee pigs or bunnies, but I pick up every couple of weeks "goodie"bags from their owners. I use guinee pigs stuff directly on the garden as mulch, because their owner uses wood shavings, which have nice texture and the poop is smaller, so it disapears quicker. Bunny stuff I use in the compost, because their owner uses rougher straw and paper pulp as bedding. My plants love it! :D

Return to “Composting Forum”