cbar

Safe for compost?

I think I checked all the lists here and still have some questions about what I can put into my composter. For starters, in general terms, is olive oil (in moderate doses when used on food) okay? I'm not talking about pouring a bottle on top of the pile, but just throwing in old food with olive oil on it.

Also, what about these items:

Nut shells
Pizza bones
Shredded junk mail and bills (no glossy paper)
Black coffee (previously brewed, not the grounds)
Corks (from wine bottles)

Thanks!

SamTHorn
Newly Registered

In Addition.

What is the best type of compost for vegetables? Thanks

farmerlon
Green Thumb

cbar wrote:I think I checked all the lists here and still have some questions about what I can put into my composter. For starters, in general terms, is olive oil (in moderate doses when used on food) okay? I'm not talking about pouring a bottle on top of the pile, but just throwing in old food with olive oil on it.

Also, what about these items:

Nut shells
Pizza bones
Shredded junk mail and bills (no glossy paper)
Black coffee (previously brewed, not the grounds)
Corks (from wine bottles)

Thanks!
I will give my opinion, and we'll see if others agree or not.

I avoid Fat in the compost, but I don't think a little residual Olive Oil would be anything to worry about.
Nut shells: OK, but not Black Walnut. However, nut shells may take a long time to break down.
Pizza: again, avoid Fat in compost... would probably be OK in a sealed compost tumbler.
Shredded paper: OK... no glossy stock or plastic (as you already said)
Black Coffee: OK, as long as the pile is not already too wet
Corks: OK, cut/shred before adding to pile

I hope that helps. :)

rot
Greener Thumb

I'll go along with farmalon but with some nuance.

You can't go too far wrong if you stick to the 10 percent rule.

Anything that might attract vermin, like fats and oils, should be really buried or secured in a secure bin.

- A little residual olive oil won't hurt anything if deep with in the pile.
- Nut shells will take a loonng time to break down. Break 'em up if you can.
- Pizza - bury that stuff. Bread no big deal but dairy and fats are a rodent magnet.
- Shredded bills? Think less about the paper but rather the inks. A lot of outfits will use high speed laser printers so that means toner not ink. Toner is essentially non-toxic plastic. I use a lot of shredded office paper from photocopiers and laser printers so it's the same thing. I just don't think a lot of people would want to use it if they new what they we're getting. The reply I got from Xerox: 'The paper will break down but the toner will not.'
- Black coffee? I'd water the bin with it. It's acidic but the pile will take care of that.
- Cork? That's tree bark. Tree bark always takes a long time to break down because it's made to resist the elements.

Another list if you haven't already seen it:
https://compost.css.cornell.edu/OnFarmHandbook/apa.taba1.html

to sense

Return to “Composting Forum”