mrsgreenthumbs

How long untill chicken poo compost is safe?

I have 4 pullet's and am beginning my first compost bin with their addition of poop. How long before it is completely safe to add this to my edible garden?

mrsgreenthumbs

in addition... I was looking for some insight online about this topic and got to thinking... I have a VERY small area to garden in and my compost "bin" is taking up space that I could use for a 3ed raised veggie bed. Now Iv heard of the "deep litter method" where chicken owners can create a very deep pile of litter and allow the poo to build up and break down in the chicken coop. I have also heard lots of story's about chicken owners who turn their hen's loose on their compost to aerate a bit, eat bug's, and munch on some of the fresher compost bit's. Could I incorporate my compost bin and the deep litter method in one thus saving me very valuable space and allowing my penned hen's access to the compost goodies, and creating a once yearly harvest of the worlds easiest compost? Of course id use pine shaving's to absorb extra moisture and such.... Think I'll post this on the BYC as well and ask my fellow flock keepers if this might work.

Return to “Composting Forum”