Logan

Worm Bin Questions(With Pix)

So Cynthia was nice enough to get my worm bin started back up after my original 2 bins were attacked and destroyed by rats, and then the remaining non-eaten worms experienced a mass die off after I moved them.

I went to put more scraps into the bin today, the first load I've dumped in there in about 9 days. I was shocked to find a stew of putrescence. All the worms are alive, and seem very active. There are some fruit flies and fruit fly maggots, and even some ants, which I have only seen 1x before when my bin was too dry. How do I reverse these conditions? I have a bunch of biodynamic compost, should I add some to the bin? Newspaper? Brown paper? Nothing?
[img]https://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m160/xWeaponX/P1000072.jpg[/img]

[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes with the newspaper for sure. Brown paper may be too acidic given what's already going on. It could be (from the location you and I observed the worm habitat in) that things got warm the last couple of days. When worm habitats get over-temp, all bets are off. :( I'd go with dampened newspaper and/or coconut coir.

Seeing your post in the "reptile pet" thread, you probably know that coconut coir is a common reptile bedding. It also makes good worm bedding! So, if you have some around, get it wet along with the newspaper. Mix 'em up and, if you have any, lay damp burlap over them to help keep the flying @#$^@s away.

And maybe drill a few more holes? Small ones, though, given the situation. :x

Any luck yet with the HOA?

Cynthia

Logan

We got some pretty big rat traps installed around the perimeter, which is a good first step. I'll get some coconut coir today and mix that in for sure.
The biodynamic compost is mostly cow poo-would adding a couple scoops be bad?

Logan

Cynthia-maybe when the dog situation calms down you can come by and help me with my tree fern, too? I have a thread in the container section about it. Also, what If I make a top for the worms made of metal screen?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I read about the fern, but I'm not that good w/outdoor ornamentals. :( I thought maybe reflected heat from the southern wall the last couple of days, but that was my only idea.

Re. screen: good idea. Give those hard-working invertebrates all the help you can think of! You're dealing with a difficult environment, one that I hope no one else ever has to encounter. :x:x:x !#$^^ HOA :x:x:x Threaten them w/the County Vector Control if they don't straighten up and fly right. :evil:

Cynthia

1.5 hours @ emergency clinic today (which was unfortunately busy with other people's dogs :( ), now digging through two weeks' worth of mail so I can start everything up again tomorrow! but Vergil has been much more comfortable since I ramped up the pain meds Thursday (vet said 2x or 3x/day; def. 3x/day)

Toil
Greener Thumb

If I were you I would take some of that food out. Off to the outside compost. Fruit flies annoy me. Stop feeding for a very good long while, and it you are worried or population drops just let it dry out a bit and water with molasses or fish fertilizer. Also consider sprinkling bran, dried compost "greens", or dry meals like kelp or fish meal. It should come into balance.

You know, I used to worry about pH in the bin, until I noticed fistful after fistful of wigglers crowded into some bokashi (pH 3.5 or less). Your putrefying food is probably very acidic as well. Except coffee grounds, which are close to neutral (you drank the acids). Anything aerobic bacteria eat, even if it starts out acidic, becomes more basic. Worms use a calcium compound in their gut, which also raises pH. Some give lime for the calcium, but broccoli is just as good. Dandelions even better!

Your food looks very wet as well. Are you getting lots of leaching? How is airflow? Maybe a floor fan? Too wet is how things get heavy and anaerobic. Good moisture levels mean fluffy castings you can scrape off with your hand to make tea.

If you have 3 pieces of cardboard that fit on top, you can put one on, then switch it with another when it gets damp. Keep doing that.

COCO - I am definitely changing my mind about coco in the worm bin after a 6 month trial. It sucks! Makes for annoyingly crappy worm castings full of lignin.

the castings - remember to get really really stable, humus-like castings, they have to eat it at least 3 times. After one pass it is good top dressed or to make tea but never mixed with soil.

Return to “Composting Forum”