greenethumbs
Newly Registered

Walnut Tree Leaves

Can walnut tree leaves be used in a compost heap/pile. Are they particularly acidic and if so maybe they could be used as a mulch around acid loving plants like rhododendrons.
Thanks
greenethumbs

farmerlon
Green Thumb

greenethumbs wrote:Can walnut tree leaves be used in a compost heap/pile. ...
If you're talking about Black Walnut, I have always heard that any part from that tree should NEVER be used in the garden or compost. Also, those trees should not be planted near the garden.
The Black Walnut tree material releases a "toxin" that will stunt or kill many types of plants.

Apparently, that is NOT a concern with English Walnut trees.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

If you sprinkle black walnut saw dust under your house you will never have termites, bugs, ants, spicers or anything.

I don't have any idea what it would do to a compost.

https://www.orkin.com/termites/alternative-and-natural-termite-treatment-methods/natural-termite-control

greenethumbs
Newly Registered

I guess I'm talking about English Walnuts, the ones with edible fruits. I need to check.
Thanks for the reply.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The "magic words" here are allelopathic and juglone. The first refers to the black walnut's penchant to kill/suppress other plants; the second, to the substance it emits in carrying out its purpose.

These may help you focus your search.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

farmerlon
Green Thumb

greenethumbs wrote:I guess I'm talking about English Walnuts, the ones with edible fruits. ...
The nuts from the Black Walnut tree are also edible.

Within the last couple of years, I have planted both "Thomas" Black Walnut and "Carpathian" English Walnut trees on my property.
Several years from now, I hope to be harvesting nuts from both ... but I will keep the Black Walnut "parts" out of the garden and compost.

Return to “Composting Forum”