Garden Gal
Cool Member

Oh ok, I understand about the FB thing. Cant do anything about the butterflies, lol. They just keep swarming. Glad you enjoyed the photos! Thank you.

Oh a question if anyone can help. . . The leaves on my Cucumber plant are starting to turn white and die. They have little white spots on them, and a couple of the leaves turned all white-gray looking and died :-( What does that mean??? Do I need to post a photo?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No dear you don't; that's powdery mildew, right on schedule...

Milk to water, one part to three for curative, untill it fades away, then like one to five to make sure it doesn't come back. A little fish hydrolysate in the milk is very helpful as well...

Lup, great avatar; mine looked just like that (just finishing up). But I think you are being a little overly cautious with your compost. You too, toil; I have mulched with naught but compost and found it very effective; I just action hoe the weeds once a week (5 minutes tops for my front borders) and it works great... (although on my veggies I like hay mulch over the compost to keep soil disturbance to a minimum, so there is that).

HG

Garden Gal
Cool Member

Hi Scott, thanks for the update on the mildew. I can do the milk but the fishy stuff??? Have no clue what that is, and can't get it anyway till next weekend. How often do I treat? And do I just pour all over with a watering can?

Garden Gal
Cool Member

PS: what is the best way to apply NEEM? I have creatures eating my cabbage and collards like crazy. I'm sure the tomatoes will be next.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Okay Margot, here we go...

Fish hydrolysate is easily found at most garden centers; bet you know Homestead or Behnke's, right? I like Neptunes Harvest... this is good organic fertilizer as well. I use a gallon or so every year... It'[s even good for compost piles to get things cooking really hot...

You are a wee bit off topic with the neem thing, and we haven't even determined what is eating things yet, so maybe a post to the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=629f7e6671f6ac7cc1b0ee324b73eea7]Organic Pest Control Forum[/url]? I'll catch you there...

HG

Garden Gal
Cool Member

ok thanks scott.

sustainlife
Newly Registered

Yes. I recommend sprinkling a layer of humates first then the compost on top. Water in and you should be good to go. I love Medina's Granular Fertilizer.

I also recommend that you stop using the miracle grow to feed your plants when trying to build up your soil quality and ecosystem. The miracle grow will aid in the build up of salts in your soil. Synthetic fertilizers do not contains carbon. The carbon-hydrogen bond is what makes a compound organic. You are going the right route just look for other minerals (liquid seaweed, fish emulsion etc.)to give to your soil to help establish your plant's root system without taking two steps back.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Humates, SL?

Why would we need to add a mined, non-renewable resource that takes mineralized, stable carbon and moves it back into the atmospheric cycle?

I thought [url=https://www.350.org/]too much carbon in the atmosphere was a bad thing[/url]...

Plus we are already adding humus as we add the compost. Just seems a poor way to put carbon back in the soil; I would rather use carbon ALREADY in the atmospheric cycle or close to it (any biology qualifies) or even better, char (that WAS close to the atmospheric cycle but by being made into charcoal can now be sequestered for hundreds, even thousands of years...)

Please feel free to release me from any delusions I may be under (ALWAYS a possibility :lol: ), but mining brown coal (humate is C8, as I understand it) to fertiliize gardens just seems like poor planet care to me...

HG

sustainlife
Newly Registered

The product I recommended does contain organic material and successfully achieves its purpose towards application. Though after your comment, I decided to do further research to find that it is not good for the environment in the account of sustainability. My main concern has been to rid my lifestyle of as many synthetic ingredients as I can to preserve my families health. This has reminded me that though the ingredients may be organic, not all are eco-friendly in the aspect of harvesting.

My current move to a more sustainable practice is a newly acquired perspective, so I appreciate the heads up.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Cool, Jared; glad to see you took my point in the manner it was intended, of good spirit and better planet...

If we begin to look to self sufficiency as a halmark of how we garden, not only do we begin to adopt practices that are truly sustainable, but we increasse not just our own health, but the health of the biota around us. As we begin to mmove away from practices that impact other places on the planet to benefit our own spaces, we not only green our own space but every other one at the same time...

Organics is a realization of the interconnectedness of all life from the microbial to our exalted place as masters of all we survey. When we recognize that our control is ALWAYS a double edged sword, doing damage whenever we wield it, we will eventually learn to put that sword down, and exist as a cohabitant, truly one with the earth... :mrgreen:

I can't wait; it gets a little better every day... :D

HG

Return to “Composting Forum”