mrsgreenthumbs

Corn stalks

So I was weeding and realized why my corn all looked so ...bushy-ish. When I planted them I planted 2 seeds in each hole. Well in a few holes both seed's germinated and grew, of course one of each two were smaller than the other and knowing due to my research as I do that corn does NOT like it's root's disturbed I decided to cut the stalk rather than try to dig it up and transplant. My question is, can I set it off to the side and let it die a bit then add it to my compost? or should I try feeding it to my chickens? it's only a corn stalk no kernals... or can I just toss it out for the horses to eat? I'd hate to waste it.

farmerlon
Green Thumb

mrsgreenthumbs wrote:... My question is, can I set it off to the side and let it die a bit then add it to my compost?
Personally, I wouldn't even wait... I would just chop that sucker up, and add it to my compost in it's "green" state.
Or, if I didn't want to take the time to chop it up, I might leave it on the ground as extra mulch.

smallfarm

you got goats? They LOVE corn stalks. I'd imagine you're safe giving it to your horse. He'll shred it up nicely for ya :wink:

2cents
Green Thumb

mrs g,
All of your suggests will work fine.
Of course the corn will also sort itself out, one of the stalks will become dominate and will outgrow the other, leaving it to look like the unlucky siamese twin. It won't hurt to leave it be, although you may not appreciate how it looks, especially after the siamese description.

Mulch or compost, and if it is young enough the horses will love it.

nickolas

I put all my corn stalks throw a 2.5 hp shredder and add it to the compost as a green.

Return to “Composting Forum”