neal
Newly Registered

rid-x in compost

can you us rid-x in you compost bin or BARREL

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You mean the septic system treatment stuff?

Their website says:

contains billions of 100% natural active bacteria and enzymes that have been selected to effectively digest septic system waste.

https://www.rid-x.com/solutions.shtml

Should be OK, but not necessary for your compost pile.

Cheryl E
Newly Registered

My husband has been in the water/well/supply/sewer business for years.. He brought me some ridx in the spring.. I said whats this.. he said.. good bugs for your compost pile.. I sprinkled them on in there.

rot
Greener Thumb

A septic system is anaerobic digestion. That is without oxygen. Composting is the converse, it depends on oxygen. On the face of it, something designed for anaerobic digestion shouldn't be too effective in a compost system. I doubt it will hurt.

Having said that, from the website link thoughtfully provided by rainbowgardener (thanks again):

Composting or Chemical Toilets
RID-X® is not recommended for composting or chemical toilets

The website indicates it's not recommended for aeration systems or for the lawn either.

If you get results, please let us know.

to sense

john709
Newly Registered

My compost was not working. The scraps were not composting just pretty much staying the way they were. I added a small amount of septic tank enzymes and water to the compost bin and within about a month it had all turned into rich dark soil.
Here's another use for the enzymes, if you have funky bad smelling carpet in your car, you can use a mixture of enzymes and warm water. Soak the carpet and in a few days the bad smell will be gone.

Return to “Composting Forum”