Binkalette

Something to keep the compost bin moist?

I just started my first compost bin a few weeks ago. Inside of it is a bunch of thatch and leaves, some sticks, pine needles and cones that my parents raked up in their yard this spring. I have added kitchen scraps (lettuce, eggshells, carrots), yard waste (green lawn clippings, the flower stalks off my rhubarb), some sawdust from the shop, egg cartons, TP centers and a few other things.. But it really seems to dry out fast. It gets mostly afternoon sun. I've been watering it quite frequently, it just poured rain early yesterday morning, but already it is dried out about 5 inches down into the bin. Is there some ingredient I should be adding to the bin to help it stay a bit more moist? Peat moss maybe? Or is this really not a problem I should be worrying about? Thanks for any help!

This is my bin by the way
[img]https://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l208/Binkalette/IMG_2113.jpg[/img]
That is the day we put it out, it is about 3/4 full now. The bin is 3'x3'x3'.

stephenabney
Newly Registered

I bet all those browns, like the sawdust, thatch, pine needles and stuff are making it very good at letting air in and drains well. Maybe too well. I have the opposite problem, where a constant supply of grass and little browns are making for a web and soppy compost.

So, more grass clippings maybe? Also, from the pic, the pile looks to still be pretty small. Once that thing is completely full, I think it will hold more moisture.

I'm new to the forum, so I would love to here the experts follow up on my comment.

Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just water my compost with the garden hose. I don't soak it, just give it enough water every week or so to keep it moist. How often I water it, and how much water I give it, depends on how dry it is. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I also water my compost with the garden hose, any time I am watering the garden. But I have realized that (for me anyway), it takes more water than I used to think. It's hard for the water to get down into the middle and bottom layers where you want it. So when I water it, I do it thoroughly, taking time to put a lot of water in it. It is sitting on the ground, so any excess will drain off.

rot
Greener Thumb

I live in dry country. The wind and the sun just dries things up. Single digit relative humidity is not unusual during late summer and fall.

I find that a new bin doesn't hold water so hot. If I really want to keep things moving, I water a little each day. Excess water just runs through. Build your bin on concrete and it becomes obvious. It will retain more water as it gets older and reduces.

A small bin gets half a watering can a day or maybe a gallon. The big bin gets a full can or about 2 gallons.

to sense

farmerlon
Green Thumb

rot wrote:..
... It will retain more water as it gets older and reduces.
Yes, I agree with that.
And you've got to be cautious when watering, because sometimes it seems like a pile that is historically dry, can become saturated/soggy before you realize it ... especially if you've been watering it regularly, and a good soaking rain comes along.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Absolutely, FL. Good advice...

Steph, I know grass clippings turn brownish and all, but they are still a green. Now shredded newspaper (depite the black and white and read all over appearance) would be a great brown; very high carbon. All paper is really, but stay away from the glossy color print. FUnny pages and such are fine...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I scored a few burlap bags last year from FreeCycle and laid one in the BioStack and one in the worm bin. Can't remember where the third one went.

Anyway, the burlap bags helped keep the moisture levels stable in the compost and the vermicompost.

And now the bags are, themselves, becoming compost.

Cynthia (Vergil came home from TPLO surgery this evening; deadlines at work just keep coming!)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Excellent idea, Cynthia!

There is actually a fabric called Compostex that is specifically designed for this but it's expensive and you need to buy a bunch. The burlap is a great, renewable idea...

HG

Return to “Composting Forum”