shadowsmom

Is a compost aerator worth buying?

I've been composting for years, with success, without one but this past weekend I noticed one of my bins was hard as a rock. The top 8" was like a rock. I do turn my compost by hand frequently until winter sets in so this happened sometime between November and this past weekend.

Should I purchase an aerator?

sweet thunder

I have one. It's handy, but I could live without it. I don't think it's as good for the compost as a good full turn, but it helps. I use one because I have those big black plastic compost bins that are hard to get a pitchfork into.

The main thing I have to remember when using the aerator is not to plunge it in too deep. Start shallow and fluff things up so you can get to the deeper layers gradually. Your back will thank you.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

It's probably drying out too fast because it is in a little bit of direct sunlight. Shade is better - in my opinion. Also, I'd like to add that the pine cones, needles, and saw dust are really gonna take a long time to decompose. No more of those 3 ingredients for me....

shadowsmom

Thanks - I think I'll give it a try. I can't always turn it really well when it's full. I have the large black bins also. I don't think I get down to the bottom when it's really full. Can't hurt!

Return to “Composting Forum”