Logan

Hey Toil-

I tried to find an email addy for you and didn't, so I had to make a thread.

My rat problem continued, and was a daily battle. I had to travel for 5 days, so I put a log on top of my worm bin, I assumed that I had enough air flow. I didn't. They are all freaking dead.

So although my wife wants me to pack it in: should I get a new couple pounds of worms and just add them to the carnage, or should I add them to a cleared out bin with just fresh bedding?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

1) To communicate with other members of the forum, use the "P.Msg" button at the bottom of any post they've written. It will bring up the screen to communicate with them. No email addy needed.

2) Re. worms/RATS. What system were you using that RATS came by??? I've had three systems using worms in El Cerrito (one from 1998 through 2003; BioStack from 1997 through now; one from 2008 through now), and NEVER have we had rats. ??? with the rats. BTW, if you need replacement worms, don't worry about buying them; send me a P.Msg (also called PM or private message), and we can make arrangements for you to come by and just get some, no need to purchase!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Toil
Greener Thumb

Hey there I am sorry about the rats. But with cyn around you are going to be fine.

You should treat this as a rat problem, not a worm bin problem. Control the rats maybe with a professional. Unfortunately I am not really all that knowledgeable in the rat field, though I had pet rats as a kid and think they are great (youtube: rat staring contest). All our rats have been controlled successfully with traps that have fake plastic cheese. We never had more than 2 though.

Return to “Composting Forum”