finalhit
Newly Registered

Pet waste composting.

I apologize if this is off-topic in this forum, but I just googled "composting forum" and the site showed up...

I'm planning on creating a pet waste septic system (bottomless used garbage can, partially buried underground, using rid-X: [url=https://petdoc.com/blog-entry/diy-tip-week-compost-dog-waste]something like this[/url]). The best place I can put it is between a lemon tree, and a guava tree, both of which we do eat.

I have absolutely no intention of using the contents as fertilizer; what goes in there, stays in there. I'm aware of the health issues that goes with using pet waste as fertilizer.

Again, the best place I can put it is between two fruit trees, approximately 1.5 meters from both trees.

Is this going to be a health concern? If so, generally how far should I place it so that it's safe?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

All of the documents I have read on the subject simply specify that pet waste must be kept "quite a distance" away from food crops. That's certainly open to interpretation, but IMO, 1.5 meters doesn't qualify as "quite a distance."

applestar
Mod

Hmm... on the other hand the waste will be actively "digested" by the microbes.... Don't really know the answer to this one, though we're talking about it in few other threads. I'll post links when I can, but I think they're still on the first page of the Compost Forum.

finalhit
Newly Registered

I have noticed people discussing the similar issues, but most of them deal with using the decomposed matter as fertilizer, which I do not intend to do.

I imagine it's possible for the bacteria in the thing to become air-born and stick the fruits, which is a definite possibility, but my primary question is, can such disease-causing microbes be absorbed in the root system.

I feel dumb even asking that question, because intuitively, I don't imagine that to be the case, but it's better to feel stupid now, that feel sick later.

applestar
Mod

Well, personally, I don't feel confident enough to use my cats' waste, however pre-processed, for food plant fertilizer. I would only use the processed (in my case, with bokashi/EM microbes) on ornamentals. This actually becomes a difficult concept since I'm experimenting with "Edible Landscaping" concept and are starting to plant edibles everywhere. But I try to avoid planting edibles too close to some neighbors, so that would logically be the target area.

It seems to me, though, that it would be safer to use for TREES than shrubs, and shrubs are safer than herbaceous plants.

Dr T
Newly Registered

Cat waste, in particular can harbor alot of nasty stuff like Toxoplasmosis. Would not place anywhere near food product(pregnant women are advised not to even change cat boxes).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here we go again; I'm starting a mission to demythologize toxoplasmosis!

NOTE: I am NOT particularly recommending use of composted cat wastes on food crops, there are other pests and parasites to worry about besides the toxo.

But just to set the record straight:

That toxoplasmosis stuff has gotten way over hyped. It is something that pregnant women should be careful about, because if they get infected with it, it can (in a small percentage of cases) cause fetal abnormalities. Otherwise most people who are infected with it never know it, because no clinical illness results. If you do get sick from it, it is usually a mild flu-like illness that goes away without treatment. Commonest ways of contracting it are from drinking water and handling raw or undercooked meat-- yet lots of people continue to cook and eat rare steak without living in fear of toxoplasmosis. Until you are a vegetarian like me, don't bother warning me about the cat litter box, which is much lower risk! :)

(Just in case you want a citation for above:

Healthy adults usually do not suffer ill effects from Toxoplasma infection and may be asymptomatic. https://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/708/main.html )

All though the toxoplasmosis parasite does require cats as a host for part of it's life cycle, it is clearly not true that all cats have the parasite. If they don't have the parasite, then the oocysts the parasite sheds will NOT be in their feces.

"In addition, cats kept indoors that do not hunt prey or are not fed raw meat are not likely to be infected with T. gondii. In the United States, people are much more likely to become infected through eating raw meat and unwashed fruits and vegetables than from handling cat feces." https://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/toxo.html

Return to “Composting Forum”