cacbeary

My new compost tumbler

Here's a pic of my new compost tumbler my hubby made for me. It's starting to warm up too.

[img]https://bethel.moriel.org/Carol/Composter.jpg[/img]

We found a metal drum to use instead of a plastic drum. I had written previously about using a plastic drum. Since plastic absorbs too much we felt it would be safer to get a metal drum.

After lots of research on the Web I found a free composter in my area. You pay $25 for the class & you go home with a composter. The state gives them away trying to get people to compost.

The township I live in collects leaves along the curb in the fall. I called about it & found out where they are. They are being composted for next year. I can have all I want too. If you are looking for leaves it may be an option for someone else.

Cacbeary

webmaster
Site Admin

That's a great tip! Imagine that, they're teaching you how to do it and giving them away.

What kind of agency do you call to find out about these kinds of programs?

cacbeary

I used Google & typed in compost & my state. I was looking where there was free compost - some towns have it & I was looking in my area. I am sure most states would have something like that.

I ended up with a link to one of our colleges Penn State. They had a link to it & also found a page where you put in your zip code & they tell you every township around you that makes compost. They also mentioned about the free composter give away but couldn't find out the where & how.

As for the free composter, it is advertised as a compost class, & when you start reading about the class, you discover a free composter. Maybe this will help. I live in Pennsylvania - program is co-sponsored by Pa Resources Council, Allegheny County Health Dept., & City of Pittsburgh - Environmental Services Division. Maybe check around in your area. This is the free composter - https://www.composters.com/docs/bins_p2.html#em

They also have worm composting. Sign up for that class & learn all about it & make your own worm composting bin for $35.00

If they are gathering leaves at the curb there is free conpost for all the residents in that neighborhood.

You have to love the Internet - the information highway for sure.

I just went to Google & typed in my state & free composter - my source was about the 6th one down. You just have to have the right key words for searches to find what you are looking for. Okay everyone - go out there & get your free composter!

Return to “Composting Forum”