gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Mainly grass and shredded paper cool for compost? UPDATE

I have a ton of shredded paper I have been saving for this years compost, I don't have many leaves so paper is the second choice plus it is recycling at the same time, bonus.

I'm asking because I know grass and leaves alone would make a great compost if in the correct ratios. The thing with paper it is around 170:1 whereas tree leaves are around 40:1 - 80:1 in the C:N ratio scheme of things.

What would you do just not use so much paper as you would use leaves? I willl be adding all my kitchen and yard scraps. But the bulk wil consist of grass and paper.

I can get some leaves up the road I have a secret stash that is always there, but it is unused property and possibly stealing though I don't think anyone would know or care. Just so you know it is an undeveloped subdivision.
Last edited by gixxerific on Mon May 03, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well you remember the guideline we post around here, I'm sure you've seen it, of trying to avoid having more than 10% of your pile be any one ingredient. So the paper and grass clippings balance each other out pretty well, but you'd be having 60% paper and 40% grass or something like that, if that were all you were using. Easy to be missing some nutrient or trace element or other, when lacking diversity. The kitchen scraps and yard waste make up for that if they are a significant fraction of the pile. Just don't add too much of the grass/paper mix until you have some other stuff to go with it.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I already started it but it's more like 60-40 grass-paper. Thought there is some leaf and willow twig debris in there as well to raise up the carbon content. Like I said if it starts stinking I can always go get some leaf matter.

My secret stash should be real nice about right now actually if was looking good last fall when I raided it last. Should be some nice leaf mould in there now. Why do it in house when you can do in the woods naturally. And never fear the leaves were DEEP so I'm not robbing from mom nature too much. :)

applestar
Mod

To increase variety in your "greens", LET WEEDS GROW... then cut and compost. :() Some are high in N, P, or K, some accumulate minerals and micro-nutrients. I can't look right now, but there are tables of nutrient values of weeds around. Somebody post a link if you have it?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There will be variety, I am not really trying to stop weeds this year.

There is already variety in there now, and there will be all kinds of stuff added throught the year.

Just the main additions will be grass and paper.

Everything goes in my compost, other than diseased or especially pest ridden plants.

rot
Greener Thumb

I've done it and it's cool.

Shredded office paper and grass clippings will reduce a great deal. Shredded newspaper mats easily however.

To sense

Halfway
Green Thumb

I've used a lot of shredded paper and cardboard throughout the winter and plenty of coffee grounds and veggie scraps for the greens. The paper mats together, so turning is the key (hard to do at 20 below and 6 feet of snow!). Also keep it plenty moist as the paper and cardboard will really dry it out.

:)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Here is an update.

I have been adding kitchen scraps and some ornamental grasses I cut down but mostly it is layers of shredded paper and lawn clippings. I stuck my finger in roughly he middle the other day and she is getting hot. I didn't take the temp but I would guess probably 80 - 100 degrees.

It's cooking and breaking down good, maybe I will have some ready this year.

Return to “Composting Forum”