hay

bagging it

For many years, I did in-ground gardening and added tons of compost, leaves and manures and even sometimes I grew green manures on the spot. Due to physical limitations now, I am going to try growing straight "out of the bag". I am meaning that cutting open the top of composted cow manure bags and slitting the bottom for drain holes and planting directly on the cow doo. I figure it will probably work okay and sure would save me a bunch of work. Being on crutches is not easy anyway and row and raised beds gardens are getting very tough to do, so I'll give the bag idea a shot. I have some of my own compost cooking away in the backyard and as soon as that's done, I'll bag it also in large garbage bags and add some cow doo and plant away.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

There are several people that do this with succes, I myself have tried it. Not 100% on this but a good potting soil may be better than straight cow manure. A mix of the 2 would be okay I believe. Bagging you compost would be great as well maybe even mixing that with potting soil.

But the mixing kinda negates the idea of growing straight out of the bag.

Good luck keep us informed how it all turns out, it will be intersting to see the outcome.

Dono

Return to “Composting Forum”