csibona

I picked up a bag of Sun Chips in the compostable bag yesterday. I'll be cutting it up into pieces and putting it in the compost. I doubt my compost tumbler gets to 130 for any sustainable time. But I look forward to the test.

leonardochen
Newly Registered

This is a very interesting experiment and I definitely want to hear what happens. Can we subscribe to this topic? I'm new to the forums.
And yes, they are indeed incredibly noisy, to the point of being very annoying in fact.

Maybe Pepsico means that it takes "only" 1,000 years for the bag to compost, instead of the traditional 15,000 years.

nes
Green Thumb

Well so far it's a big fat LOOSER!

I pulled the bag out of my compost yesterday & it looks exactly the same as the day I put it in there :(. It's been very warm but we haven't exactly reached the heat of summer yet, so I decided not to give up & threw it back right into the middle of the compost.

I haven't been able to locate those pdfs on the pepsico site.

The chips are long since gone but it's packaging is still hanging around...

I'm going to buy another bag and try throwing it into my garbage bag/weed compost attempt as that should get even hotter then the garden compost.

soil
Greener Thumb

I tried to compost some bags. I got like 20 of them from someone who was saving them. they do compost in time( not fast enough for me and my piles reach 160f all the time). and during that time stuff gets inside the bags and can create anaerobic pockets.

I now just say to myself, if it decomposes eventually. then its ok to send to the dump. because eventually it will decompose and become humus.

Toil
Greener Thumb

so basically the packaging equivalent of oak leaves.

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Toil wrote:so basically the packaging equivalent of oak leaves.
I think Oak leaves break down a little quicker, lol.

soil
Greener Thumb

hey whats wrong with oak leaves, they get such a bad rap but make excellent leaf mold.

Toil
Greener Thumb

nothing wrong with oak leaves until your woefully ignorant co-conspirators with too much experience and too little knowledge or curiosity about nature to show for it decide its a good brown for a compost pile. You know me Soil, now picture me in that situation and how diplomatic I would be. doh!

yup, we got it sorted (I think). Shred those oak leaves and make a special pile. I will look for sun chips bags to throw in as well. Or maybe shred and use as durable mulch.

lol I saw a great lightbulb moment when I showed someone all the oak leaves on the ground in april and asked why there is nothing but oak leaves, when oaks are not the only tree. where did the other leaves go?!? lol

sometime in the future: see all the doritos, m&m's, and frito lay wrappers on the ground? why do you suppose there are no sunchips wrappers?

Return to “Composting Forum”