Lunacy
Cool Member

I'm with Dix! I went to the other thread started by Applestar. And I felt like I dropped out of the sixth grade and fell into a chemistry class!

EM
EM 1
Activated EM
EMA which is not the same as Activated EM?? :shock:
Nitrogen fixing???

This is too much to soon, I'm just trying to do some Bokashi composting without paying the high price of buying the whole commercial system.

I want to buy some EM of whatever kind is best to turn wheat bran into Bokashi.

So I'm politely asking you guys to talk down to me, I promise not to be insulted. I didn't think I was dumb, But AppleStar's thread taught me otherwise.

Toil
Greener Thumb

ah, well you can do bokashi using the wild cultures mentioned in the blog post, and even use newspaper. Any of the methods mentioned will work fine with bran.

I think a 1L bottle of EM-1 makes 50 L of AEM (yes that is activated/extended EM) . You use 30 mL of the AEM to make 10 lbs of bran. That's a lot of bokashi from one bottle.

My "system" is a 2L soda bottle, and a lightbulb in a tub (optional)
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

So just to be clear....EM1 is what I should order right? I'm also assuming it's safe the go with the 12 oz bottle....
Do the activation instructions come whn u order the stuff or will I be probing you for that info as well? I'm ordering mine tomorrow morning it's my DH's penance for promising a month ago to get me 2 more 55 gallon drums and not yet delivering :D

Toil
Greener Thumb

it's on the scd site I think.

mix EM-1:molasses:water at a rate of 1:1:20. Put it in a clean soda bottle with some headspace (squeeze before sealing) and let some gas out if it gets really pressurized.
There's something new growing in the Helpful Gardener Forum! Become a part of it here!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I've made the executive descision that you need to teach a class on bokashi. I have my note taking materials at the ready professor toil. :D

Toil
Greener Thumb

well probably the best thing to do is just order some em-1, or do what the blog says and make your own inoculant.

Once some people get started, then it's easy to answer questions.

remember, I'm not an expert, I'm just the guy in the room who has done it before.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

That makes you our resident expert since trial with results means you have something that works and the more I look online for information the worse things get and evrything contradicts each other! All I really want is to a) make my own bokashi mix so I know its right and will be effective and b) not to completely screw up a.....making the stuff seems to be the only thing I have a problem with but maybe by the end of the week when I have everything home things will become more clear.

Toil
Greener Thumb

well think about it a second:

If all this info is contradictory, and people still get results, it's because it is so easy!

So just jump right in, the water is warm and sort of smells like sweet and sour.

Lunacy
Cool Member

Just ordered my first batch of EM 1. I am very excited, thanks to all who added to this thread.

Return to “Composting Forum”