Dixana
Greener Thumb

BOKASHI! I'm obsessed but I need help (hint toil)

So I mentioned in my new member post I've been readthis forum pretty much all day and nite. I've been wanting to start bokashi for awhile now but have 2 main ?'s that have no answers yet mainly because toil writes beyond my level of comprehension :wink: First I need the recipe to mix it (wheat bran preffered as I can get bulk 20 # from the feed mill) and where I can get EM or EM1 (I'm not getting which I should actually b using?) here in the US. I've been reading about it for weeks but can only find suppliers in AU or Canada. Any helo would be great!!! ...................WOW that was a lot to type on the tiny phone keyboard!.........

Lunacy
Cool Member

Hi Dix, I'm new here also. This forum is fantastic! Last week I knew almost nothing about gardening. This week I still no almost nothing but I know how little I know and where to come find what I don't know, (here!)

I first read about composting, then worm composting and that lead me to Bokashi which lead me to EM1!

I have found a place to buy it in the states, but it is a commercial site so I don't think I can post it here. BUT the way I found it was to Goggle "Effective Microbes" I tried EM1 and I know that won't work.

I did not buy any because that stuff is expensive! Not I my budget now or anytime soon. I also found several links to make Bokashi on youtube. The jewel I found is how to make EM1 This was on a blog so it is not commercial, so I believe I can post that link.

https://joshkearns.blogspot.com/2006/12/effective-microorganisms.html

I hope this helps you, and mods if I did anything wrong please bring it to my attention before you need to take action.

applestar
Mod

Agh. I lost my chance to steer you to the other thread I had going, so I'll just cross link it:
[url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21051]Let's Talk EM! NEW PROJECT!! :D[/url]

Thanks for that link. This is a new info that I hadn't seen before.

Toil
Greener Thumb

ok, the link above is not for making EM, despite what the blogger thinks. It's just wild inoculant from fermented plants, probably mostly lactobacillus. Which is in some ways similar to EM and fine for making bokashi compost in the kitchen or in a pile.

Here is the bran recipe

10lbs bran (yes wheat is fine. so is newspaper!) (10lbs wheat bran is 17.5 qts, or 3.5 5 qt saucepans)

1TBS sea salt
3L water
30mL inoculant (I use EM)
30mL molasses (I use blackstrap - check the health food store)
I add rock flour and kelp meal

youtube bokashi bran and you will get a video of the process

I am curious why you feel EM-1 is expensive? I have never gotten more mileage out of a product for home and garden and beyond, and I am still on my first bottle after a year. It's a mother culture, so you don't use it directly. 1 part of EM-1 with 1 part molasses and 20 parts water makes extended or activated EM.

difference between EM and wild organisms? well, EM is much harder to make, and is supposed to be a balanced mix of special photosynthetic bacteria that can eat some nasty human chemicals and fix nitrogen, yeasts, and lactic acid bacteria. Many versions also contain actinomycetes and other beneficial organisms,like Bacillus subtilis (used for making a dish called natto, I believe).

I spray EM on everything. And it has many many purposes. I do ingest it but I advise caution and Vinny Pinto's advanced brewing guide if you want to do this.

hope that helps!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

We were posting at pretty much the ame time on opposite threads :D But where do I GET EM? I can only find distritutors on other countries...is it ok to share company info on this site? And I have no issues paying for EM......or EM1? Still slightly confused on that too......
Do you guys have biology degrees or something? I'm not feeling quite as smart as I used to and I'm a nursing student :oops:

Toil
Greener Thumb

we are just a bit nerdy, but my goal is to learn and explain, so don't worry about it. Explaining things without jargon and shortcuts is a great way to reinforce and scrutinize my own knowledge. I often catch my mistakes this way.

EM-1 is basically a franchise type product. The grand poobahs in Japan license independent groups to make and sell it within certain guidelines. But it is not an exact copy, and the organisms present can vary wildly. The important thing is how they function together.

two sources for EM-1

emarica
scdprobiotics

I use emamerica's version, but will switch when my bottle runs out. why? just to see.

I have a high school degree... lol I left school about 4 credits shy of a piece of paper.

WARNING: the EM world has a lot of questionable information, pseudo-science, and outright mysticism. I do not partake, nor am I convinced, but don't let it push you away. Just ignore it if that is not your thing. The base product is sound. I say that from experience.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Awesome :) It's funny really, I've had a small garden of some kind or another for years and always composted so I thought I had some decent knowledge about gardening in general.......now that I found this site I pretty much feel like I know nothing......

Toil
Greener Thumb

it's a good feeling to have, isn't it? I love the early days of a learning binge.

kimbledawn

I knew when I found this site , I was HOME. This is the only place where everyone loves to learn just as much as I do!! :D I have learned so much visiting this site.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Learning binge is the perfect statement for it! :lol: I'm gonna have to reread to everything cuz my brain is overloaded and retaining nothing.....
me----->:shock:

Lunacy
Cool Member

I am blown away by your knowledge Toil! Wow you just taught me lot. I didn't realize that EM was diluted to that degree, so I will stand corrected on that it is to expensive. I am so glad I found this site! Knowledge is king!

Lunacy
Cool Member

I just went to the first site Toil was kind enough to post. Dang! The price I saw was from Australia and it was over $200!! Thank you for the link, that's where I will be shopping!

Toil
Greener Thumb

Lunacy wrote:I am blown away by your knowledge Toil! Wow you just taught me lot. I didn't realize that EM was diluted to that degree, so I will stand corrected on that it is to expensive. I am so glad I found this site! Knowledge is king!
it doesn't stay diluted! it wakes up and eats the molasses, giving you full strength EM. brewing is required. (I use soda bottles)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

:D

HG

Dixana
Greener Thumb

How do I do the head hitting the wall emote? I think I missed something.....I was under the impression everything just got added to the bran.....
Toil I think I need a "dummies" version on bokashi :?

Lunacy
Cool Member

I'm with Dix! I went to the other thread started by Applestar. And I felt like I dropped out of the sixth grade and fell into a chemistry class!

EM
EM 1
Activated EM
EMA which is not the same as Activated EM?? :shock:
Nitrogen fixing???

This is too much to soon, I'm just trying to do some Bokashi composting without paying the high price of buying the whole commercial system.

I want to buy some EM of whatever kind is best to turn wheat bran into Bokashi.

So I'm politely asking you guys to talk down to me, I promise not to be insulted. I didn't think I was dumb, But AppleStar's thread taught me otherwise.

Toil
Greener Thumb

ah, well you can do bokashi using the wild cultures mentioned in the blog post, and even use newspaper. Any of the methods mentioned will work fine with bran.

I think a 1L bottle of EM-1 makes 50 L of AEM (yes that is activated/extended EM) . You use 30 mL of the AEM to make 10 lbs of bran. That's a lot of bokashi from one bottle.

My "system" is a 2L soda bottle, and a lightbulb in a tub (optional)

Dixana
Greener Thumb

So just to be clear....EM1 is what I should order right? I'm also assuming it's safe the go with the 12 oz bottle....
Do the activation instructions come whn u order the stuff or will I be probing you for that info as well? I'm ordering mine tomorrow morning it's my DH's penance for promising a month ago to get me 2 more 55 gallon drums and not yet delivering :D

Toil
Greener Thumb

it's on the scd site I think.

mix EM-1:molasses:water at a rate of 1:1:20. Put it in a clean soda bottle with some headspace (squeeze before sealing) and let some gas out if it gets really pressurized.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I've made the executive descision that you need to teach a class on bokashi. I have my note taking materials at the ready professor toil. :D

Toil
Greener Thumb

well probably the best thing to do is just order some em-1, or do what the blog says and make your own inoculant.

Once some people get started, then it's easy to answer questions.

remember, I'm not an expert, I'm just the guy in the room who has done it before.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

That makes you our resident expert since trial with results means you have something that works and the more I look online for information the worse things get and evrything contradicts each other! All I really want is to a) make my own bokashi mix so I know its right and will be effective and b) not to completely screw up a.....making the stuff seems to be the only thing I have a problem with but maybe by the end of the week when I have everything home things will become more clear.

Toil
Greener Thumb

well think about it a second:

If all this info is contradictory, and people still get results, it's because it is so easy!

So just jump right in, the water is warm and sort of smells like sweet and sour.

Lunacy
Cool Member

Just ordered my first batch of EM 1. I am very excited, thanks to all who added to this thread.

Return to “Composting Forum”