peacefuljay
Newly Registered

Vermicompost noobie

Hey guys,

I hope everyone is having a great day. I want to get into vermicompost. Can you guys lead me in the right direction? I don't know anything about it so help would be great!

Thanks in advance!

:D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To start with, try typing vermicomposting into the Keyword box that comes up when you click on Search the Forum. It brings up 6 pages of listings of all the posts about it, that will give you lots of info.

To start you off, here's a nice one with some step by step photos about setting up a worm bin:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18171

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A few of us had a discussion with a new member about the general care of composting worms at

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22745

a week or so ago. She rescued a very neglected Worm Factory (it sounds like) and wanted to know how to do right by the hard-working invertebrates resident therein. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

firstimegardener
Cool Member

There is so much information out there!!! Google can be your best friend! :) I found a lot of great stuff, and everyone here has been very helpful with my worms. The book I've seen recommended the most was "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Appelholf. I have it on hold at the library.

I'd post more websites here, but I can't remember if that's allowed or not. Use google. Some people may understand the technical articles more then I do, so just look around. If someone knows if it's ok to post outside links, let me know and I will post what I have :)
GOOD LUCK!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Outside links to non-commercial sites with good information are okay.

Toil
Greener Thumb

the only thing I would caution is that much of "worm lore" is just made up stuff passed down, so be careful.

some things I've heard but seen the opposite:

worms are vegetarian
worms can't live in castings (they prefer to live in a healthy layer of castings)
worms only lay eggs in bedding (there is no bedding outside!)
worms avoid anaerobic conditions (some crucial anaerobes live in worms)
worms have favorite foods (worms eat microbes. it's the microbes that have favorite (easier) foods)

and on and on. worm bins are not the the natural habitat for worms. that would be a manure pile. what we are trying to provide is a really good second best.

Return to “Composting Forum”