gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My new composting tool

[img]https://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj185/gixxerific/DSC03426.jpg[/img]

I got this for my birthday as a dual purpose device. Obviously to shred all our paper waste but also to use that paper waste for the compost pile. Since I don't have many leaves to mix with my greens I will substitute paper when the leaves are few and far between.

You know you got it bad when you ask for a paper shredder for your birthday and turn down a new bar-b-q grill. :lol:

applestar
Mod

:lol: Have fun with your new toy! :lol: :wink:

ccar2000
Cool Member

I use a paper shredder for the same reasons. The small pieces are easily composted. Sometimes I just spread them around in the planters and mix it directly in. Seems to help keep moisture.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Talk about putting a cramp in one's style...I have the cheap-o type of shredder, where you just put it over a wastebasket. Neither DH nor I have been able to find the shredder for several WEEKS! It has been my compost ally for several years, ever since 2003!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I had an old, inexpensive "strip" type of paper shredder, but one of my dogs accidentally got the tip of her tail caught in it. I took a crow bar to the shredder to get my poor baby's tail out, so obviously the machine was toast! :lol:

Doggie went to the vet, and fortunately, there was no major damage done. She just needed to wear a band-aid on the tip of her tail for a couple of weeks.

A friend gave me a new, up-to-date, "crosscut" type shredder that is made so that things like little kids' fingers and little dogs' tails can't accidentally slide into the blades while the motor is running.

I, too, lack browns for my compost bins, so I shred a lot of paper! :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The shredded paper also makes a great fire starter, for fires in our little fire pit. Catches instantly and burns very hot (briefly, but enough to get the wood kindling started).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Glad to hear I'm not the only paper shredder composter, sorry to hear about your dogs not so good time Kisal.

I have been using my MIL's shredder but it finally burned up (I wonder why :shock: ). Now I have my own and yes it is kid and dog friendly with an automatic shutoff if your fingers get close.

Thinking about this how does a dog get their tail into a paper shredder in the first place? :?

Oh and Cynthia good luck on finding yours. :lol: :wink: Just a tip: it's probably in the last place you'll look. :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Ah, it was terrifying for all concerned! I only wrote about the accident to caution folks who have older shredders that the things can be really dangerous. It happened so fast, just took a split second for the tip of her tail to slip into the blades as a sheet of paper was being fed through. Poor Daisy was screaming and trying to run away, and I was trying to hold her. I finally had to have my friend, who was visiting (thank goodness!), hold the dog so I could go get the pry bar.

Besides paper, I cut up cardboard boxes and run them through the paper shredder. The things are really great for making compost! :D

But nowadays, I put the shredder up on the tabletop whenever I use it.

Maximavswife
Newly Registered

I also use our shredder for empty tp cardboard. The shredder at work is a fancier model which shreds the paper down to itty bitty pieces so I take home a bag every couple of weeks. I also have a friend that gives me her shreds. Towards the middle/ end of the season and before leaves start falling, these hoarded bags of shreds sure come in handy.
Kath

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Maximavswife wrote:I also use our shredder for empty tp cardboard. The shredder at work is a fancier model which shreds the paper down to itty bitty pieces so I take home a bag every couple of weeks. I also have a friend that gives me her shreds. Towards the middle/ end of the season and before leaves start falling, these hoarded bags of shreds sure come in handy.
Kath
Yes they do MWife I have several bags saved up. Still freaking out that other people do this. I love it.

Recycle
Reduce
Reuse

:flower:

Toil
Greener Thumb

I tried using a shredder.

If I never see one again I will be that much happier.

god I hate shredding.

AndrewH_TX

Shredder for the compost... hmmm guess I've only used it for my worms, but directly in the compost makes a lot of since.

I have plenty of leaves, but I also have plenty of paper to add as well ;). Might just have to add a shredder to my b-day wish list as well.

Nice b-day gift!

rayoflight
Newly Registered

Thanks for the idea 8) I'm new at this

shaefins

Standard copier paper is OK for composting (after being shredded, of course)? I'm new to this and not sure what I can used in place of leaves, as they'll be in short supply for me.

scoobdoob808

Glad to hear the shredded paper works well, I was thinking about taking all of the office shred home as I have no leaves to add to my compost. Thanks for the great suggestion.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

We found the shredder! Evidently, one of the cats had knocked it behind where it was "supposed" to have been. It's just a little model that sits on top of a wastebasket.

Back in business with shredded newspaper for my worms and BioStack; shredded junk mail (non-shiny paper), etc. :D

Cynthia

Return to “Composting Forum”