firstimegardener
Cool Member

Toil wrote:Oh hey I should have mentioned: of you have a food processor, a great way to get your numbers back quick is to grind everything including eggshells (calcium is vital to their digestion).

Later on when the system is rolling along you can proceed as normal (or keep grinding).

Also a bit of sandy dirt goes a long way. They like soMe grit.
I had read that somewhere too, but thanks for the reminder! I'm going to have to do that for a while because I think they need some extra help right now...

Toil
Greener Thumb

Just keep repeating the coda from that bob Marley song.

"everything's gonna be alright".

And hey, the little ones can learn about picking yourself up if you get knocked down.

firstimegardener
Cool Member

Yep they will. And their learning that treating animals like that isn't acceptable. I love when I can show them in practice lessons of life (although, it's sad that the worms had to suffered) We homeschool, so everything kind of becomes a lesson in something

firstimegardener
Cool Member

I just wanted to update everyone, especially those who were so helpful

My worms are doing very well. Some are migrating up, but it's a slow process. Some seem to be happy where they are, still working on the stuff in the lower trays. I am ok with that though. I don't seem to have lost nearly as many as I feared. I see many more then I did when it was so compacted. Probably because they can move around more.
Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know. They are happy! :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Great to hear that they're doing well! :D

Cynthia

applestar
Mod

Sounds great! I just started keeping a worm bin last fall so I'm still learning as well. My kids call the worms "Mama's new pets" :lol:

My younger DD had absolute fear of bugs when she was a toddler -- to the point that she would have panic attacks if we stayed outside too long. Over the years, my casual attitude toward bugs and crawling soil denizens have been, I think, helpful in diffusing her fears. (I've had to overcome some shuddering reactions of my own to some of them, I must say.) [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22560]We also raise Monarch Butterflies in the summer.[/url]

Now, she is able to readily pick up earthworms in the garden: "Why don't you put that one in your garden, next to the flower?" "But I got it for YOU, so you can put it in your worm bin." :D She also proudly shows me that she clapped her hands on a flying gnat (instead of running to me in a panic) "I GOT it! LOOK!" :lol:

The other day, I was making up a compost based soil mix in an old saucer sled (I find it works very well as a soil "mixing bowl" :wink:) on the patio table. My two DD's and I stood and stirred and observed all the little critters -- "This is a baby Centipede. We want to keep that." "Oooh, that's SOOO cute!" ... "What's this?" "That's a Millipede, you can tell because they're more round." "And shiny!" ... "That's a grub, we don't want that. Put it in that cup, and we'll put it on the bird feeder later." ... "Oh! Oh! I know what that is! That's a wireworm -- BIRDFOOD!" ... "and that's a Sawbug -- try to catch it, if it rolls into a ball, then it's a Pillbug." ... "Oooh, there are so many little worms in here!" "Yep, they're all waking up." 8)

firstimegardener
Cool Member

applestar wrote:Sounds great! I just started keeping a worm bin last fall so I'm still learning as well. My kids call the worms "Mama's new pets" :lol:

My younger DD had absolute fear of bugs when she was a toddler -- to the point that she would have panic attacks if we stayed outside too long. Over the years, my casual attitude toward bugs and crawling soil denizens have been, I think, helpful in diffusing her fears. (I've had to overcome some shuddering reactions of my own to some of them, I must say.) [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22560]We also raise Monarch Butterflies in the summer.[/url]

Now, she is able to readily pick up earthworms in the garden: "Why don't you put that one in your garden, next to the flower?" "But I got it for YOU, so you can put it in your worm bin." :D She also proudly shows me that she clapped her hands on a flying gnat (instead of running to me in a panic) "I GOT it! LOOK!" :lol:

The other day, I was making up a compost based soil mix in an old saucer sled (I find it works very well as a soil "mixing bowl" :wink:) on the patio table. My two DD's and I stood and stirred and observed all the little critters -- "This is a baby Centipede. We want to keep that." "Oooh, that's SOOO cute!" ... "What's this?" "That's a Millipede, you can tell because they're more round." "And shiny!" ... "That's a grub, we don't want that. Put it in that cup, and we'll put it on the bird feeder later." ... "Oh! Oh! I know what that is! That's a wireworm -- BIRDFOOD!" ... "and that's a Sawbug -- try to catch it, if it rolls into a ball, then it's a Pillbug." ... "Oooh, there are so many little worms in here!" "Yep, they're all waking up." 8)
I love it. My kids have never been afraid of bugs. I'm more afraid of what they'll do to them. My husband told each of them that you can eat SOME bugs, so I would catch my two youngest traping house flies under their teacups to eat them. And yes, I watch them to make sure they don't actually eat them. YUCK!
Luckly, the bugs around here are not going to make them sick. And now, I am working on "petting" the bug, then letting it go...not eating it

Return to “Composting Forum”