gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

So it's okay to compost Twinkies than right? :lol:

rot
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:So it's okay to compost Twinkies than right? :lol:
I suppose if you need gypsum in your soil. Considering their legendary shelf life, might be better to make wall board.

I read the links and saw references to salts and now I'm thoroughly confused about salts. I think one site indicated gypsum was a salt and another said it was a sulfate which seems more intuitive considering the what little I remember from high school chemistry.

If some salts are at least OK for the soil, can I use the water softener backwash that uses only potassium? Maybe apply a ten percent rule?

to much sense

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most soil have a lot of potassium especially clay soils. Though most of it is locked up. Not sure if adding more pot would be good.

Teach us oh wise ones of the garden. :wink:

rot
Greener Thumb

We have terribly hard water around here so when we moved in we got a water softener. Currently our water softener is grandfathered in as municipalities are phasing them out. You would need to get an electric thing or a softener service. Gawd knows how the softener services dispose of all their salt but out of town, out of mind I guess.

We stopped using salt right away and switched to potassium as a possible mitigating factor. The softener will regularly flush itself into the sewer to dispose of the excess salts, potassium, in our case.

I've heard that you can use it in the garden but that was anecdotal. I'm thinking maybe I could divert the softener backwash to a bucket or barrel and maybe use it to water compost if not water roses directly. The city can still complain and probably give me grief under grey water ordinances or something but I could honestly say I'm not mucking up their weak kneed waste water treatment facilities. Besides, we can use all the water recycling we can out here.

So can I use potassium tainted softener backwash?

I't really like to put it to use.

Thanks in advance

too much sense

Return to “Composting Forum”