my_secret_garden
Cool Member

I'm ready and rarin' to compost! How to Start?

While finishing cleaning up some junk in my yard, I found a large square wire fence area that is about 3ft by 3ft by 3ft etc. and it seems like it might be just perfect for a compost bin. Though I'd like to use a two or three bin system, this is what I have to work with right now. I could use some suggestions on how to start.

I placed it in a nice shady area, near the fence and near enough to the hose and house. I will post pictures later when I upload them but my camera is charging right now. I would like to know if the place I put it seems like it will be okay. Also, I am wondering how I should start. Do I need to close in the bottom? Do I need to close in the sides or top at all? There is just grass there right now. I found a couple of websites that seem like they might help but I value everyone's opinion on this forum. :) Will post a picture a bit later. Thanks!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Nope, no need to close in anything, you want to have your system as open as possible such that worms, beetles, mites springtails, fungi, bacteria, and so on can get into your compost and do their magic.

Just layering greens and browns. I usually start off with a layer of greens (grass clippings, kitchen wastes, manure, etc) and then a layer of browns (leaves, hay, black and white newspaper, etc). Continue this all the way up. You are going to want to turn the pile about once a week to allow yourself some space to do this.

garden_mom

Also make sure you keep your pile damp, but not wet. About like the dampness of a wrung out sponge. If it's too wet you'll have smelly slime, and too dry nothing will happen. If you can keep a pile of dirt or brown materials next to it, then when you throw on food waste (non-animal) or other greens you'll have something ready to layer on top of them. After a while you can start digging out your compost from the bottom of the pile. If you ever get two or more bins, you can turn each bin into the next and the last bin will be your finished compost.

my_secret_garden
Cool Member

I am getting a second bin this week so I will use your advice. :)

tinaduffill
Newly Registered

for best results place your compost bin in a sunny spot onto well drained soil.

Return to “Composting Forum”