Tater
Cool Member

Plastic on Compost?

I have a fair amount of horse manure that has not decayed enough. Its too wet to bring the tractor in to flip like normal. Would putting plastic over the top (its 4x4x80') help create humidity(or heat)? I have placed corrugated pipe every 8' like a chimney to allow air in and out from top to bottom. Plastic it or not? tate

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know, your scale is kind of unimaginable! 1280 cubic feet of horse manure! But it seems like the pipe for air channels (a good idea) and the plastic (cutting off air circulation) would be working in opposite directions.

Tater
Cool Member

gotcha I was simpy thinking of creating heat more pipes it is.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have always believed that you should not cover your compost. Though maybe if you put a smaller strip on the top leaving the sides open with the vent pipes (good idea there) just long enough to get it cooking might not be to bad. But I wouldn't leave it on for too long. Remember the main catalyst in compost are air and water. With those in check the microbes do there thing and thus produce the heat.

I have been reading a book by Bob Flowerdew (what a name), He keeps saying to cover your compost to keep water out and other things such as insulation. But this guy has a lot of ideals that just don't make good sense. Oh well it's a small book I will suffer through this and keep shaking my head when he say's crazy stuff.

MC Mixin Bricks

my theory is that if you put plastic on compost it gives the microbes a chance to learn how to break down plastic. if that happens the earth will be in serious trouble. but that is just a theory.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

MC Mixin Bricks wrote:my theory is that if you put plastic on compost it gives the microbes a chance to learn how to break down plastic. if that happens the earth will be in serious trouble. but that is just a theory.
If that happens it will be a godsend! :clap:

yuppupcs

If you leave your compost uncovered in rain and the weather, wouldn't the rain wash away alot of the "good stuff" nutrients out of the compost?

farmerlon
Green Thumb

Tater wrote:Its too wet to bring the tractor in to flip like normal.
If my open compost pile is starting to get too wet, I cover it with a tarp when rain is in the forecast (to keep the water out), and then I uncover it when the days are dry (to let the pile breathe better).

I am composting on a much smaller scale than you are; so, that may not be practical for you.
But, if your pile is staying water-logged, it's never going to get the chance to "cook" properly.
As I am sure you already know, evenly moist is great for compost ... sopping wet is bad.

Birddog

I would think there would be a natural source of water repellent, such as mulch or shredded leaves or hay - something that would run most, but not all of the precipitation off.

Tater
Cool Member

I just let it rain on it- I am learning patience. Its just sitting there rotting maybe by fall or mid summer it will be ready. The corrugated 4'' pipe is really helping though.

Return to “Composting Forum”